Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Sunday 1 June 2008

Waves on the Rocks (Ραβδούχα)

If I could describe the island of Crete, I would say it looked like one big long sunbathing mermaid, whose body is divided into four uneven parts: the west, where her head and hands are; the mid-west, which constitutes her petite bust; the mid-east, where she keeps her big wide hips; and the east, where her tail is located.

That westernmost part is called Hania, the one with the small head and two outstretched hands. I live on the northern coastline, just below the left hand side of the mermaid's head. On our first outing for the summer (our last family taverna meal was at Therisso), we drove westwards, to her first hand - the bigger of the two, Rodopou peninisula. On the left hand side, in the middle of the peninsula, we stopped at a seaside village called Ravdoucha. There, we encoutered the Waves on the Rocks, where we enjoyed our first summer meal out (this map is from their website). This is the second time we have been to this restaurant.

ravdouharavdoucha

To get there, we had to travel over mountainous terrain on a small narrow road littered with rocks, fallen debris from the winter's rains and adverse weather. We could see the mermaid's other arm (called Gramvousa) in the distance across the sea. It is barren and arid, unlike Rodopou, which is covered in greenery in its greater part.

ravdoucha

We finally came across the beach, which resembled a lagoon, filled with sapphire blue Mediterranean seawater.

ravdoucha

We sat outside under the shade of two great big mulberry trees. The only sounds were the sea, the patrons of the restaurant - and the generators, which was tucked away in a neat corner, but whose hum could still be discerned.

ravdoucha

From our table, we had a direct view of the sea.

ravdoucha

We ordered some tsigariasto (which was cooked in a little tomato - the meat was falling off the bone),

ravdoucha

tzatziki,

ravdoucha

stamnagathi (slightly blanched, turned into a cold salad, a little bitter as it is ending its season now, but still, very tasty),

ravdoucha

calamarakia (fried squid ringlets),

ravdoucha

grilled octopus (superb),

ravdoucha

fried zucchini, eggplant and mushroom slices, and a plate of potato chips; the owner of the taverna cultivates potatos for the exclusive use of the taverna. We had also ordered a beer, and were treated to one more by the owner of the taverna (he saw me taking photographs of the food).

P6010022

At the end of the meal, we were bought a dish of cold caramelised carrot (no, it isn't the famous Greek quince in syrup, but it sure looks like it - and if we had some yoghurt or ice-cream, I'd know just what to do with it), as well as some tsikoudia, the locally produced fiery white spirit of Crete. We drank in the sea air, and went home feeling very relaxed. Total cost for four people: 40 euro, including tip.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Maria,
    I'm there!!!!!!! Listening to the sounds, smelling the air, tasting the wonderful meal and spending time with friends. Love Dimitra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This array of food is my kind of trapezi...kali honepsi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, what a beautiful place to enjoy a meal. Thank you for sharing your pictures of your beautiful homeland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pictures really made me miss greece - just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never have enough of this kind of thing. In the summer, if we go out to eat, we prefer seaside dining. You can't beat it. It looks absolutely beautiful.
    And, isn't it nice to take a break from the kitchen? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I sit now eating my very (but VERY) simple lunch, I read your post and get lots of vicarious pleasure from your restaurant meal and from your scenery. Must admit though, I freaked out at the squid and octopus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so want to go back to Greece, now more than ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to thank everyone who is passing by this blog and reading about my recent family lunch out at the beach. I have obviously touched a raw nerve in many of my readers by stirring their memories of happy holidays in summertime Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so beautiful. Can I buy the sunshine from you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Maria

    wonderful description and photographs of 'WAVE'. We live(part-time) in Ravdouxa, and this is our favourite place to spend hours, eating, drinking and whiling the time away. the views are fantastic, the food even better, and the owners couldn't be more welcoming. Rosalia Milliganakis

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful to hear from you rosalia - we keep wanting to come back to waves but it's a bit of the beaten track for us...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so happy when I found this blog less than a week ago, AND even happier I got when I found my favourite taverna listed here!!
    I used to come to this taverna at least few times in a month for last 3 summers and also some winter weekends till I moved back to Scandinavia.
    This taverna has the best food and the best view!! This really is a place to spend a relaxing day enjoying your morning frappe on the beach and sunbathing and then lunch in taverna!! The food is so fresh and so tasty!!
    In a week I will be back on Crete for a small holiday, and it is so easy to know where I will spend my first weekend out eating!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my fave tavernas! I didn't know you knew it too!

    ReplyDelete