Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 5 June 2008

Offal (Τζιγέρι - Εντόσθια)

P6050006

It's a load of old waffle
that awful is OFFAL.
It may not look good
to treat it as food.

But once you have cut it
and floured it and fried it,
believe me, there's nothing
that tastes quite just like it.

Maybe it's hiding
in that little SAUSAGE
you ate as of late
in your wholemeal bread sandwich.

So next time you're buying
a small spring-born lamb,
you might think of eating
what you thought was spam.

It's liver and kidney
and sweetbreads and heart,
the kind of things chucked
in a steak-kidney tart.

Let it all cook until it is crunchy;
just think of it then as a squidgy BIFTEKI.
And when it's all done, it needs very little:
some lemon juice, salt and horta to fill you!

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

7 comments:

  1. I can see you dabbling in a food haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you write this poem?? It's offal good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hip, hip hurray for gourmet poetry!
    also long live Georgia, who saved the day yesterday!
    thank you for sharing the bougatsa recipe. I made it yesterday! I used some more semolina than recommended, being afraid that my filling will overflow from the phyllo envelope. Even so it was good and reminded me of mornings in Patras!
    eating bougatsa and seeing the sea...what a treat for a morning
    that used to be!
    say hi to the sea from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This put a smile on my face ear to ear Maria. By the way I also passed on an award to you as well, everything on your blog is "yummy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee - well done! I love offal - liver and sweetbreads in particular, so if you could just pass me that plate...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stand offal, although I believe that eating everything an animal has to offer shows great respect towards the animal.

    P.S. Great offal poem!

    ReplyDelete