Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 29 November 2013

Cold (Κρύο)

I wouldn't say we put it off - the house simply didn't feel that cold to us all this time. Last night, despite the warm clothes we were wearing and the fleece blankets we covered ourselves with, we still felt cold. It's the damp air that remains in the atmosphere which causes this sensation, and it doesn't go away without turning on some form of heating; insulating your house well doesn't mean that you will never need to use heating.
Winter's arrival in our house was a cause for celebration We even got our souvlaki delivered. Lighting a fire keeps the family together. We have all created our own little corner in the living room, so's we don't tread on each other's toes as we huddle together in the warmest part of the house. Even the location of the Christmas tree has been planned for; that's Greece for you: completely seasonal (as we await Persephone's arrival once again, να μας τα κάνει όλα καλοκαιρινά πάλι). 
Having not felt the full brunt of the cold so far this winter in our house, I asked my colleagues at work this morning if they had started using any form of heating in their homes so far. They were surprised to hear that we had only started heating our home so late in November.

I am slightly relieved to hear this. Climate change may play some role in experiencing delayed winter weather, but so does good insulation.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you all got the cosy feeling. As I have said many times, "my woodstove is what makes winter bearable." I have the week off
    and dear hubby goes to work but before he leaves he makes me a lovely fire. I keep it going until midday, then let it go out.
    Now, at 3pm, the sun has just gone down behind the mountains and I am thinking of firing it up again.
    I did get some vitamin D around noon today sitting on the porch in the wonderful sun wrapped in a down coat as I read a fascinating book about a Mumbai slum. Looking forward to Dec. 21 and the slow lengthening of the days.
    Maria, do you get enough vitamin D? My new doctor says women can take a lot more than conventional doctors tell them.
    To get my levels up where they should be, she recommended 10,000 iu's a day. She also told me that it's no longer called a vitamin, but now is considered a hormone! I learn something new and interesting every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is no shortage of vitamin D in crete - we get a lot of sunshine most days, despite the cold weather in winter, and in summer we get more than enough due to the long sunny days - it rarely rains for five months in a row

      Delete