Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Saturday 5 January 2013

Tinseltown

Christmastime is for the children, we say in Greece.

the tall tree screams Christmas
the twinkling lights attract eyes
the bright colours punch faces
the music drowns the voices

the children soften hearts
the laughter is contagious
the congestion magnetises
the rain falls unnoticed

the cold becomes hot
the popcorn fills your mouth
the candy floss melts the salt
santa's beard is drooping

pocahonta's watching
tweety's there too
the china lady smiles
the gypsies beckon

and time stands still
in tinseltown

Today is the last day of Christmas according to the Greek Orthodox calendar. It's traditional to take down your Christmas tree tomorrow, and after that, it's ο κάθε κατεργάρης στον μπάγκο του και τα κεφάλια μέσα. My annual leave has almost ended, which means it's time to plug the LED clock back into the socket, to wake up early in the cold and dark, and to get to bed early enough so as not to end up sleeping in in the morning. Three more months of cold weather to go - patience till springtime...

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, it's my last day of Christmas break, too. I have had 18 days off and have "gone to town" only 3 times.
    That's OK with me! I love staying home. I'm not too sure how I would feel if I never had to go back to work, though. I think it would get tedious to not work at all!

    ReplyDelete