Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 10 January 2013

Spanakopastitsio (Σπανακοπαστίτσιο)

After making the spinach pie last night, I had quite a bit of filling left over, which I could have turned into kalitsounia (Cretan specialty). That would involve rolling out more filo pastry, which I didn't feel like doing this evening (it's a little hectic at home at the moment).

A Greek cooking show was playing this afternoon, which gave me this idea of filling canneloni with spanakopita mixture, and topping with bechamel sauce. The result: a kind of vegan pastitsio.

This recipe would also work very well with the classic pastitsio recipe which uses No 2 tubular macaroni. There is no real recipe here - I made most of it up as I went along, picking up a packet of canneloni from the supermarket to get me started. After filling the whole packet of 250g canneloni, I simply piled them into the baking vessel, poured over a bechamel sauce made of butter, flour and milk, and finally added some oil and water to just under the level of the canneloni. A little grated cheese was sprinkled over them, and the meal was cooked in the wood-fired oven.

I had this excellent meal with a glass of Roditis Sauvignon Blanc - great pairing of wine and meal, but I'm still not a wine connoisseur enough to be able to tell you why it paired so well.

If you liked this recipe, you will probably also like Laurie's green pastitsio too.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous, Maria...I would call it Spanako-canneloni but same fab look and flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely delicious Maria! I am going to surely make this very soon... Yummmmm!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, that looks scrumptious! ♥

    ReplyDelete