Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Saturday 15 December 2012

Red cabbage (Κόκκινο λάχανο)

Apart from salad and lahanodolmades, what else do Greeks do with cabbage? I got my husband round to planting red cabbage this year, so I had to find ways to enjoy it. Thanks to a friend, I found a great way to turn nutritious anthocyanin-packed red cabbage into a very locally-based delicious warm salad that goes well with sausages or cheese.



According to web searches, it's popular to cook red cabbage with chestnuts and apples. I sauteed 1 large thinly sliced onion in 1/2 cup olive oil, and then added half a small red cabbage, shredded, and 1 large apple, diced. For a sweet and sour taste, I added 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp honey, along with a shake of paprika and cumin, for a spicy taste. The vegetables were cooked until the cabbage had wilted.

And now that you know I'm supporting the Greek wine industry, I can tell you that this dish was accompanied by some chilled dry white wine (Peloponesiakos PDO Moschofilero), which is an easy drinking wine that dampens the heat of the spices.

Thanks to Eva for the idea.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

3 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. Have you tried using apple cider vinegar. I have been making a pointed cabbage recipe, with leeks, onions and bacon and add the apple cider vinegar at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apple cider vinegar is now being sold in cretan supermarkets, but more as a luxury product - i tried it once and i liked the taste, so maybe it's time now to start experimenting and buy my own supplies to use it more often

      Delete
  2. I think you could probably make your own as well - there are quite a few recipes out there on the web. Lots of people drink apple cider vinegar as a health aid.

    ReplyDelete