Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 23 February 2012

Little shoes (Παπουτσάκια)

Children quickly grow out of their shoes much more quickly than their clothes. I knew my son needed new shoes, but not because I had seen the holes in his old ones. Up until last week, he had only one pair of shoes, which were close to a year old. So he really did need another pair of shoes. The made-in-china boots that we'd bought him on sale (21 euro) from a large shoe warehouse in Hania came apart after a week of being worn. We stuck them down twice with super-glue, but in the back of our minds, we knew that those boots could not really be classified as a decent pair of second shoes.

Unlike little girls, little boys don't always tell you they need new shoes. They don't always realise that having holes in your shoes is a not a good thing. Sometimes, they get attached to the comfort that a pair of old shoes offers, even if their socks get wet (which is how I realised that there were holes in his shoes). Little girls don't need to wait to feel the discomfort. They will have the finger pointed at them, or more likely, down to their shoes, by other fashion victims, who will say: "Look, your shoes have got holes in them!" and they'll come straight to mummy and daddy and tell them that they need new shoes.

Shoes are not really a top priority in my house because both mummy and daddy in this house know that their mummies and daddies grew up with no shoes. In fact, yiayia doesn't have a pair of shoes, only a pair of slippers and a pair of muddy old shoes with holes in them that she uses for the garden. When we mentioned to her that she needed a pair of shoes, she insisted that she didn't. "I never go anywhere, I am always at home, and if I go into hospital, I won't need shoes there," she answered. Her first pair of shoes, like all my children's grandparents, came when she was nearing her teens.

We now wear shoes because everyone else does, and we don't always mind if our shoes are old, as long as we have something covering our feet, because it looks more civil. Greeks are not like Kiwis, where people like to walk barefoot in the street after work before they go to the pub, or even at work like one of my maths professors at university, who came to the lecture theatre barefoot (right throughout the year). And in Greece, there are appropriate shoes for the appropriate time of the year, so another of my lecturers in the TESOL department would have looked quite out of place in her jandals (that was her only pair of shoes throughout the year). Wearing shoes in Greece is not necessarily about making a fashion or lifestyle statement; it's all about appropriateness.

Although it is a priority to wear shoes in Greece, it isn't a priority to wear shoes without holes in them. Priorities these days have to do with preserving our health (especially in this cold winter that we're having), eating healthy food (which has probably helped us to preserve our health), keeping safe and out of harm's way (like not entering areas where protest marches are scheduled to take place), and paying our bills, so that we don't have to feel threatened by having our communication and electricity supplies (aka in Greece as OTE and DEH) cut off. Priorities differ among us, but this kind of lifestyle has suited us so far, and surely I can't be so special that I am one of a small minority who lives like this in Greece. After all, only about one or two hundred-thousand Athenians thronged the streets on that fateful Sunday when Athens was razed. The other four million or so citizens of Athens were presumably keeping out of harm's way.



Last week, we found some time to go into town and buy some new shoes. It was cold and wet; umbrellas don't do much for you on narrow streets, like those in the commercial heart of Hania. The rain was coming down too quickly and heavily for the drains to cope, and we all got soaked as we tried to avoid the puddles, especially my own feet; despite the heavy rains we have had in Crete, I still buy very cheap shoes which I know look fine at an office job, but in essence, they are not appropriate for walking around in wet weather.

We had a few problems finding a good pair of shoes for my son because we were looking for them late in the sales period, which meant that the most popular sizes and colours had run out. Finally, we found a store that offered good sports shoes (this is what most Greek kids wear to school, except the girls whose parents doll them up in their grandparents' and godparents' presents) at reasonable prices. My son could choose between a lace-up and a scratch pair; he chose the latter (for obvious reasons, as lace-ups mean more work), at a cost of 45 euro (his old shoes - the same brand, an almost similar pair - had cost 50 euro the previous year).




The next day, when he returned home from school, I asked him if his new shoes were as comfortable as his old pair.

"Yes, these ones are really good," he said. "They even keep my feet warm."

Now that he knows the difference between his old and new shoes, I wonder if he will remember to tell me when he needs a new pair. If this happens, I also wonder whether I'll be in a position to buy him a new pair of shoes when he needs them. At the moment, it doesn't look that way, unless I change the order of my priorities: first I buy new shoes, then I pay my electric bill - or simply convert our savings account into a current account.

Right this minute, Modern Greece is a tale of two cities, or rather, two camps:
What most people don't care to admit is that this crisis is survivable. I know this, because I know what I'm worth. I'm sorry to say, but not all my fellow compatriots do.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

12 comments:

  1. A very thought provoking post. I can see that it is about way more than "little shoes." Your little guy seems a good sort. No complaining. But...45 or 50 euros...that is a lot of money for shoes. Maybe I just haven't looked at the prices of children's shoes for a long time. Do you have thrift shops there in Hania? That would be a good alternative so he could have a second pair if he needs them.
    Many years ago I remember my dad taking me to a local small dry goods store. I needed a new pair of shoes to start middle school.Those new shoes would be my only pair. My friend who was from a family even more poor than mine went with us to the store. I found some little ballet type flats for $5.00 a pair. I looked at my friend and then at my dad and he said to her, "Sidney, would you like a pair of those flats, too?" She was flabbergasted that he would buy her shoes also. But...she really wanted a pair, too, and knew that her parents didn't have any money for new shoes. So..dad bought her a pair and she was thrilled. I was happy for us both but surprised that my dad had $10.00 to spare for two teenage girls. Times were hard when I was growing up the oldest one amongst 8 kids!
    I don't know where my friend Sidney is now. I wish I could find her.
    Once again your post had brought pack old memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo.... HAS BROUGHT BACK old memories, sorry for the typos.

      Delete
  2. I just looked at the link to the Papoutsakia recipe. It's so whimsical and cute, the different types of little shoes. You made me laugh. I will try this recipe. Just this am I saw that eggplants are on sale here at the local supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet story of your dad and friend - i wish people were all like that now, but it's each to his own these days
    I would never call myself poor; what we are in essence is plentiful in resources but lacking in disposable income - we have comforts that our parents didn't have while growing up, but there is little leeway now for an improvement in our daily life - the situation in Athens as we see it from TV looks dire, but I'd say most people on the whole spend less money these days, wherever they live in Greece

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: shoes in hania really are expensive - before i bought my son a good pair of shoes last year, he always wore made-in-china plasticky shoes from teh supermarket which made his feet smell and sweat - they were cheap (up to 15 euro), but they can hardly be called a decent pair of shoes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told you Hania was an expensive place for shoes. Too much disposable income. I never had to spend more than 25-30 euros for good leather shoes for children on discount shops. A second pair from Lidl usually is what my son gets. They are usually in good shape when he outgrows them so I give them away to people who are in need. He got to wear shoes from friend's children as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wonder how much the same shoes i bought for him would cost me in another town in greece - the shop i bought them from was one of those small family-run businesses which probably own the premises of the store, and there is a photo of the father of the present owner in a proiminent position on the wall (the founder of the family bisiness) - at first, they thought i was stingy because they overheard me talking about my son having no shoes for basketball, so they tried to sell me basketball boots which i wasnt interested in - i kpet asking for a plain pair of sports shoes - the lace-ups were 10 euro cheaper, but essentially the same thing, so i let my son choose which he'd prefer (they thought we were nice people after that)

    coincidentally, they had very pretty tracksuit pants and jackets which my dauighter wanted, and they were "on sale" too for 30-40 euro a set - this store was clearly catering for a set group of shoppers (the one who could afford expensive clothes for their kids)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 20-25 euros is the most I would spend for a 10 year old, 10 for the pants and 15 for the jacket for a brand name set in a discount shop. And they seem to last so they can't be completely fakes. I hardly ever go to family run shops. Too intimidating. Unless they don't make feel bad.

    You are right we did get a lace up pair so it was cheaper but more work for the mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the clothes were all brand name sets - they looked really nice too, but that was too much money to pay for me
    the intimidation aspect of the family-run business is to protect their high prices through their 'good' name in the town, and they do not fear the cheaper intruders who are putting them out of business

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe the prices are high because it's a "tourist" town? I live a good distance between two very fancy ski resorts and would never buy anything there. In fact, I avoid either town completely. I will admit that I used to live in one of them but moved down the valley many years ago. I suppose there will always be people who can afford whatever they want and who don't look at prices. That is how the business owners survive in resort towns, selling, selling. Sometimes I describe one of those resorts to my sister as "an old woman who has to constantly have face lifts to keep men (the public) interested in her," and thus make lots of money. My sister still lives there and doesn't like my comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that hania is a toruist town does have a lot to do with the problem - people have more money here than other places in greece

      Delete
  10. I have another little story I must tell you. When I saw the title of this post, "Little Shoes," I instantly remembered how we used to tease our little girl by putting her little shoes one on each of our hands, and make them walk on the table towards her, singing, "Little Shoes, little shoes, over and over again. She would squeal with delight. A simple little story but one that makes me feel very nostalgic.
    I now have two large eggplants and this week I will make "Papoutsakia." Just think, if I had known that word way back then I could have said 'papoutsakia, papoutsakia, to her! I am silly, I know. I like being silly.

    ReplyDelete