Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 9 February 2012

Garlic breath (Σκορδίλα)

Every now and then, my daughter comes home from school, complaining about her lunchbox. "All you give us to eat at break is home-made cake and fruit and an orange instead of juice!" she whined. Yeah, that's all I give them to eat. I'm a bad mother. Other kids at school bring packeted treats like potato crisps, tetrapak orange juice and bake rolls. "Now everyone's calling me stingy because I never bring anything to school and everyone else does and they treat each other except me!"

"You know how unhealthy that junk is," I remind her, "and anyway, we eat crisps and we drink soda at home every now and then." She whined a bit more before things calmed down and we forgot about the incident.

The other day when I picked her up from school, she mentioned her lunchbox contents again, but this time she was smiling. "You were right, Mum," she beamed at me (and of course, I beamed back), "bake rolls really are bad for you." She proceeded to tell me that one of her classmates had opened a packet and passed it round in the class during morning break, and when the teacher came back to the classroom after interval, she complained that the whole room stunk of a greasy garlic smell, so she opened the windows to get rid of the stench, but everyone who ate some of those bake rolls still smelt of it because it's very hard to get rid of garlic breath when you don't bring anything else to eat at school, not even an orange, which the school is surrounded by in the neighbouring fields.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

4 comments:

  1. For sure the mother knows which is best for their children, especially when it is matter of food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one of the reason I got into baking the days-old pita breads. I make our pseudo pita chips. They are REALLY delicious. Now the kids don't want the packaged ones. My younger still goes for the bake rolls. The garlic-scented ones really are vile. Happened on a road trip one summer, the stop at the periptero yielded these...the car REEKED. Only time will tell if a childhood spent eating home-cooked food will steer them away from this stuff. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love when the other students back up your claim without being aware of it? It takes patience but if you stay consistent the light shines brightly. It's better to eat cake than to smell! haha

    ReplyDelete