Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Sunday 14 February 2010

Red Cheese (Κόκκινο τυρί)

Apart from St Valentine's Day, it's also Cheesefare Sunday today, and the last day of pre-lenten carnival silliness, known as Apokries in Greece. I'm joining in the fun with this silly post.

We find ourselves in Athens, in 1966. The poet, Mr Timoleon Famfara, of low acclaim, is publishing a new collection of verse. He's speaking with his publisher's assistant, Vasili Vasilaki, who works for pittance, but believes, above all, in loyalty to the company.


(Segment from the film "Wake up, Vasili!" Ξύπνα, Βασίλη!)

Poet: Did you read it?


Vasili: Did I read it? Did I ever! I read it, I ate it, I gobbled it all up, I learnt it off by heart!

Poet: And which one did you like?

Vasili: Which one did I like? Which-- Which-- Which one should I choose first? ... 'Good morning Yiani', 'Broad bean seed'...

Poet: So, you like broad beans?!

Vasili: What's that you say, Mr Famfara? You've cooked them so-- I mean, you've composed them in a-- a-- ...

Poet: ... a sarcastic tone, yes, yes! I'm so funny and satirical when I want to be! Do you recall the poem 'Red Cheese'?


Vasili: Oh, Mr Famfara, if I don't know the poem 'Red Cheese', then what do I know?!

Poet: Of course, you would know it! Recite it to me.

Vasili: Recite it to you?! Oh, let me think, now, let me think... er, er... Just give me the opening word.

Poet: Red--?

Vasili: Red--? Red--? Ah, yes!
"Red cheese
we were offered
at the table
where we feasted.

Red cheese,
we gaze at
and deliberate;
but such a cheese--"
Poet: "We don't partake!"

Both: Ha ha ha!
Poet: "Its colour fine
aroma sweet,
but from inside--
"


Vasili: "Repugnant sleaze!"

Poet: Yes, yes! Wonderful! Ha ha ha! It has such a profound meaning, that poem, doesn't it?!

Vasili: Oh yes, of course, the entire satire of the communist ideology, it's embodied in there, inside that very cheese!

Poet: Wonderful, wonderful! You really do understand my poetry!

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

6 comments:

  1. Well done you for incorporating something red in your post....
    Hope you are well, sorry about not being around but I'm having difficulties posting comments in many blogs recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Το αγαπημένο έργο του άντρα μου! Αχ, πάντα μου αρέσει να διαβάζω τις αναρτήσεις σου!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate at lot of that "red cheese" when I was a kid, there was always a little red net bag of them in the fridge. I used to try to sculpt things out of the wax until my mother scolded me, because "your hands will be stained red and smell like cheese!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great little clip. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha that was hilarious! And brilliant, too. :)

    Thanks for the mention, also Maria. I appreciate it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe, Communist cheese is a funny metaphor.

    ReplyDelete