Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 18 February 2010

Calamari with wild greens (Θράψαλα με άγρια χόρτα)

Today I am cooking with two ingredients that I use no more than twice a year - and always in combination. When I am given one, I buy the other, and cook this wonderful stew.

Fennel bulbs are hardly ever produced locally for commercial sale. I have never bought them myself, because I am very lucky that my uncles give me a few fennel bulbs every year from their garden - to date, they are the only people that I know in Crete who grow finnochio (as these are called in the trade). Finnochio is tender enough to be eaten raw, sliced into a salad, but I prefer its very subtle aroma and taste in a stew - and if you have never tried calamari and finnochio together, it's time you did.

thrapsala calamari

I recently bought some calamari from the supermarket. What caught my eye was the label - it came from New Zealand. New Zealand food items make a surprising appearance in Cretan supermarkets: lamb, seafood and kiwifruit are all very common. The mileage they have covered - needing to cross at least three continents before they arrive in Crete - sounds highly polluting, but I comfort myself in the thought that to get to Crete, this calamari was probably part of a large shipment of produce, loaded onto a cargo ship which called in at many ports along the way, being unloaded here and there, while more products from elsewhere were loaded onto the same ship, thereby offsetting most of the carbon footprints it left behind as it was making its journey across the world.

Fried calamari is very popular at tavernas all over Greece. This is what my kids usually order when we go out, which is why I didn't want to fry this calamari at home. I think it is a terrible shame that many Greek people go out to eat food that they often cook at home, especially since Greeks are nowadays more open to foreign tastes and new meal ideas, judging by the abundance of imported food items readily available in the supermarkets on a daily basis.

calamari and fennel bulb stew

Since I knew my calamari stew wouldn't be very popular with everyone in the house, I used only 2 of the 4 pieces that I bought (they were cellophaned-wrapped in two packets, each containing two calamari). Coincidentally, the whole dish consisted of leftover ingredients from other dishes, and it's probably the most complicated midday meal I've ever made, in terms of the number of ingredients it contains. I also cooked it the night before, so the flavours were enhanced by the next day when we ate it for the midday meal.

You need:
a few tablespoons of olive oil
an onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
2 medium-sized fresh (or defrosted) calamari, cut into large chunks (the calamari may be substituted with octopus or cuttlefish΄I used a kind of calamari known in Greece as 'thrapsala')
1 large finnochio (fennel bulb), chopped into thick slices (fennel is like an onion; they slices will disintegrate like pieces of onion)
1-2 cups of leftover spanakopita mixture (mine contained some finely chopped wild greens, spinach, fennel herb fronds, parsley, mint and cottage cheese)
a cup of shredded cabbage (this was actually leftover salad)
a glass of wine
a few tablespoons of tomato sauce (I used my own home-made bottled sauce)
a handful of small cured green olives (optional)
salt and pepper

Saute the chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil, then add the calamari and fennel pieces and let them take on a golden colour. Add the wine and let simmer for a few minutes, then add the tomato. When the liquids come to boiling point, turn down the heat and add the remaining ingredients. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer at the lowest heat point until the calamari is done to your likeness (and we like it pretty soft).

If your spanakopita greens mixture did not contain any cheeses, this meal becomes lenten, perfect for the pre-Easter period coming up. Braised calamari goes really well with another of those taverna favorites - fried potatoes. Make sure you have it with some white wine too.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

9 comments:

  1. This looks lovely Maria...I love fennel in almost anything. Great combination of flavours here...perfect for nisteia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I read correctly, you only eat thrapsala once or twice a year? Does that mean you eat calamari other times? I love this seafood, with greens. with fennel, fried, grilled, poached or in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds terrific! I have some frozen calamari in my freezer and this sounds like the perfect meal for my husband and I (my kids will only partake of fried calamari with marinara) to enjoy. Off to get some finocchio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazingly flavourful dish Maria. We can only get grozen squid here I believe so will be on the lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kalamarakia (and soupies) when I'm in Greece. Pity they are so hard to find here in England. I did buy a fresh kalamari once but it was a big bugger and tough as a bedroom slipper. Unfortunately the quality of squid seems to be deteriorating in Greece now, or have I just been unlucky? I only know a few tavernas where you can count on non-rubbery squid. The dish you show us here looks very good I'm going to look out for good squid here again but I won't hold my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great timing! We've got a HUGE bag of calamari in our freezer and we've been pondering what we can use it in. We've already decided to use some of it in a seafood lasagne along with scallops and clams, and some of it in a stir-fry. Now I know what we'll use the rest of it for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Maria - the only ingredient I can't eat is the cabbage. And I have a sole, lone finnochio plant growing. Now I know I can grow Florence Fennel here there will be many more seeds sown next Summer.

    Evenings starting to draw in here, so your Spring isn't that far away!

    huggles from me, snoring from the cat,
    Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a coincidence. I just did squid in a Risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never paired fennel and calamari. I always cook them separate. You're so lucky to always get fennel bulbs from people around you!

    ReplyDelete