Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 23 June 2009

Lemons (Λεμόνια)

Lemon in Greek cooking is commonly taken for granted that it is amazing to think it only existed in Europe since Ancient Rome. Lemon is the main dressing ingredient in Greek cuisine. How we managed to survive without lemons in the past is a mystery, because Greeks use a lot of lemon juice in their food. Boiled vegetables and greens are always dressed with lemon juice, along with olive oil and salt; lemon juice is absolutely essential on horta, fish and BBQ meat, while most Greek soups and white sauces are lemon-based. In Crete, green olives are preserved in lemon juice and salt.

In countries where lemons are in short supply, sour-tasting sumac is used as a substitute. A Middle-Eastern student of mine tells me that the common weed clover is also used for the same purpose, cut finely like a herb, to release its acidic flavour. Although lemons are grown all over Greece, the winter period poses a problem in finding locally grown lemons, even in Crete.

lemon tree
It's always a sad time in our house when we realise we've run out of lemons.
lemons lemons

In the village, we have a lemon tree that is laden with fruit every year. In theory, we can have all the lemons we want, but the problem is that they aren't in season all year round. Fresh lemon juice can be frozen in ice cube trays and used in winter greens. One ice-cube placed over one serving of steaming hot horta is enough to get that tangy flavour always present in Greek-style boiled greens. This is an excellent way to preserve lemon juice, and it doesn't take up a lot of space in the freezer, especially for use in the winter when access to fresh lemons is limited. Lemons are often imported in Hania at this time, mainly from South America. They taste less tangy than locally grown ones.

CIMG7835

In the summer, I love home-made lemonade. It is so refreshing and so simple to make. Elise gives a very simple recipe, which you can make up freshly each time you want to make lemonade. Her lemon syrup recipe keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge, if you prefer to make it in bulk; just don't mix it with extra water until you're ready to serve it.

And when you're squeezing so many lemons, you'll notice your hands looking clean and shiny - lemon juice is a great cleansing agent.

lemonade

Another way to use up excess lemons Greek-style is to turn them into spoon sweets preserved in syrup or add them to orange marmalade. Many cultures around the world also have their own unique lemon recipes: lemon meringue pie, lemon curd, lemon herb butter and lemon granita ice-cream have become universal favorites. But my absolute favourite internationally inspired use for lemon would have to be that delicious refreshing Italian limoncello, enjoyed outdoors on a warm summer’s evening.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

13 comments:

  1. Maria, if you have good lemons, you can make your own limoncello (using raki as a base) or even thickly slice them, cut out the inside and bake cheese in the rings. They will have a beautiful lemon flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that about clover. Interesting!
    I can not imagine life without lemons. And limoncello is more than delicious... I should really try and make my own once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! how wonderful lemons tree, limoncello I'm going to try it.

    thanks for sharing your Lemons:)

    Welcome~~~
    http://foodcreate.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only ornamental lemon trees growing here in the "Great White North". Lemon is my chocolate and I love it sweet and savoury:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are lucky to have a home grown lemon supply. I enjoyed your post. Now I must have some lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so great that you freeze it individually and then use as needed! I would love to have a lemon tree in the yard -- I've seen so mnay homes in Kerkyra with lemon trees in their yards and yet all that fruit goes to waste as they never pick it. I always feel like jumping in their yards and picking it myself when we are there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's ironic that you posted about lemons. I picked my last three from our tree just last week. Here, the trees have just finished flowering and tiny green lemons can already be seen. Ours are abundant in Oct/November. They usually last through spring, which is how I just picked my last few. I had no idea that you were in short supply over the winter.
    Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemons. I wish I could have a lemon tree. And I didn't know fresh juice could be frozen. It's easy to buy lemons here, but they're not always priced well, so when they are, that would be a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the lemonade...looks so refreshing. Freezing it is a great idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, have you considered preserved lemons for the winter? I wish I had your kind of problems with a glut of produce!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lemon tree or a lemon park? Impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. good idea. thats whatt i will do with my lemons too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! Has it been so long since I last commented on your blog? I'm sorry to have been away but I'm catching up!

    Living in a northern climate such as Minnesota/Upper Midwest US, citrus are not (as far as I know) locally grown and yet they are readily available and relatively cheap in the groceries (mostly from California or Latin America). I suppose we are very fortunate in that, although it does run counter to the idea of eating 'locally'. Still, I don't know that I could give it up! I buy bottles of lemon juice which is easier to store and keeps longer than fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete