Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Saturday 18 October 2008

Double identity (Διπλή ταυτότητα)

Recently, I had the odd task of having to prepare my children's school meals 160 nautical miles away from home. Really weird, but that was the agreement between me and my husband if I wanted to go to the big smoke and meet up with a friend. The food had to be able to remain relatively fresh; all I'd have to do when I came back home would be to put it into my children's schoolbags within the same hour that I arrived back home. What kind of healthy prepared street-cafe food can you buy for your children's Monday lunchboxes on a Sunday, when you're flying back home 160 nautical miles away at 5.30 the next morning?

sintagma athens
(Sintagma Square in the distance)

I had arranged to meet up with my friend in the middle of Athens. Σύνταγμα - Sintagma (Constitution Square) - was teeming with people that day, even though it was a Sunday and all the commercial shops on Ermou St were closed. Despite the recent economic crisis, Athens looked like a city in love. The day was sunny, warm and breezy, perfect for a Sunday βόλτα (volta - stroll), which most of the town's residents were doing. Even the pigeons looked happy. People were taking photos of the parliamentary guards in their sentry boxes, the McDonalds on the corner was full of youthful faces enjoying their happy meals and a whole range of foreign languages could be heard all over the place, interrupted occasionally by the Greek language. I had some time to spare before the appointed meeting to search for what I could buy from around the area that could travel safely, not go off or become stale, stay intact without getting mushy in my backpack, and more importantly, resemble a nutritiously rich meal that could constitute a child's school meal.

plaka athens
(laidback atmosphere in Plaka)

The side streets of Sintagma Square leading to the Acropolis abound with mini-markets, cafes and παντοπολεία - pantopolia - literally a 'sell-everything' shop. In terms of edibles, the one I chanced on sold croissants, potato chips, sweets, sodas, fragile φρυγανιές (crumbly rusks that look like miniature toasts) as well as tinned goods. About the only healthy item in it was fruit, which was out of the question: bananas will go black with the merest touch, while the other all-time classic morning-break fruit, the apple, bruises easily, and may need peeling if you don't know what its pesticide content is.

CIMG5026
(the bagel stand at Sintagma)

I was beginning to feel I had lost the battle for a healthy mid-morning school snack when I spotted a lady selling the classic Greek bagel - κουλούρι, koulouri - at a stand on the corner of the road on Μητροπόλεως (mitropoleos - Cathedral) and Φιλελλήνων (filelinon - Philhellenic) Streets. Bagels are quite durable; in any case, they don't lose their taste, nor do they become stale in 24 hours. A perfect choice; I bought two plain soft bagels, two hand-shaped hard ones and a tomato-and-feta filled soft bagel, ditching plans to buy the full range, which also included chocolate-filled ones. Koulouria are usually eaten on their own, but if you manage to avoid the temptation of munching into them on the street, they go great with a piece of cheese, a few olives and a glass of wine, which I didn't have handy on me at the time, the reason why I didn't deal with my own bagel choice (the filled one, naturally) till I got back to Hania.

Monday's school lunch wasn't tricky at all. The cafes in the area served luscious looking sandwiches and πίτες (pites - pies) of all types: cheese, sausage, sweet cream, spinach, hotdog, mince, you name it. My only caveat was that they would be subjected to all sorts of bruising, temperatures and humidity levels in my bag, so I decided not to buy anything from the road, except for my own lunch (before I was treated to a sumptuous dinner by my friend. I could easily buy my children something similar for their lunch from the airport cafeterias, which served this kind of food.

I had almost forgotten to have lunch that day (such a rare occurrence in my life), I was so excited, not just about meeting my friend, but because I had managed to achieve so much in one day. I had seen a few relatives in Aspropirgos (a dingy Western suburb in the Greater Athens area), walked through the neighbourhood I had lived in for two years before settling in Hania permanently (Egaleo, another neighbourhood of Western Athens), and enjoyed the luxury of the organised Athenian mass transportation system, via the suburban blue buses and the Athenian underground.

athens underground athens underground
(pottery shards and the ground layers found when the underground was being constructed)

It is a fact that Athens has not improved its dreary image since I was last living there, but that is simply not true about the means of transport: the underground in Athens is clean, modern, awesome, even beautiful. Walking into the underground world of Athens is like entering a museum full of ancient antiquities: in some parts of it, when the lighting is set in such a way that it highlights a particular monument on display in the foyers, you might even get the feeling that Hades is lurking somewhere in the twilight, ready to turn you into a pillar of salt if you dare to turn around and look, like he did to Eurydice when Orpheus wanted to check that Hades had kept his word about his lover's return. Most of the treasures found in the foundations of the underground during its construction were eventually turned into a museum display piece.

athens underground
(some of the Parthenon marbles Elgin didn't manage to steal, on display at the Acropolis metro station)

A long time had passed since I last went to see the Acropolis. Of course, the whole area has changed since I was last there, but my instinct led me in the right direction during my short interlude in the area. I got out of the metro at the Acropolis stop, located right next to the brand new Acropolis Museum, a strategic environmentally-friendly station, enabling people to have more efficient access to an important landmark, without the need to bring their own car to an already over-congested area (top marks to the town planners). The hot autumn sun made up my mind for me: the Acropolis also looks good at lower ground level, and I don't need to work up a sweat by walking up the hill to get to see it close up. (Believe me, I've been much closer to it than anyone can get to it in modern times.) It was at this point that I remembered I was feeling hungry and thirsty. Right across the Acropolis metro station were a few strategically positioned cafes and snack bars. Everest was located on a highly visible corner near a row of crafts and souvenir shops.

acropolis athens
(above - the Acropolis of Athens; below - the foundations of the Acropolis museum among excavated ruins; a view of the apartment blocks facing the Acropolis - dingy as they look, they enjoy one of the most amazing views in the world )
acropolis museum acropolis museum

Everest is a chain store selling snack food and refreshments right throughout the country. Its food is prepared in the way most chain stores run; it is very centralised. At one of a few places in some industrial areas of the country (like Aspropirgos in Athens, where I overnighted with relatives before my Sunday adventure in the centre of Athens), people are busy preparing food in different ways for different businesses, most likely using processed ingredients: a fast-food chain may sell profiterole desserts in octagonal plastic tubs (like Everest), while another fast food chain might want chocolate mousse served in smooth round plastic bowls (like Goody's). Another chain may order spinach pie made with thick pastry (like Everest), while another chain may prefer to serve a spiral spinach pie made with thin filo pastry (like Gregory's). The food is prepared according to each customer's specifications, after which it is stored appropriately, and flown, trucked or shipped to the branches of these fast food outlets, be they close to the production plant or a remote island.

The advertising of each company may claim that their food is 'fresh', but this is all relative. A product that is stored under artificially controlled conditions to keep its appearance, shape and smell 'fresh' cannot be compared to the same product that was made and eaten on the same day in someone's kitchen, which will not be subjected to any kind of unnatural treatment in order to prevent it from spoilage. My Everest spanakopita cost me 1.95 euro and it was very satisfying; having said that, I must admit that I am a spanakopita fanatic, and it is usually the only thing I buy from a snack food outlet when I need to have a meal on the run. I ignore the ringing bells in my head sounding out warnings against fast food; we do this irregularly, and only when we need to. I even went into a McDonalds while I was at Sintagma; the coffee was OK, the toilets excellent.

Spanakopita was the kind of thing I had in mind for my children's school lunch. I decided to buy them each a piece of Everest spanakopita at the airport, another place where you can find 24/7 fast food chains en masse, each one claiming to serve you the healthiest food made with the freshest ingredients possible, served warm after a short zap in a microwave oven.

CIMG5060

When I arrived at Athens airport, I checked out each food outlet and wondered what kind of money people make in Athens in order to be able to afford to eat here: hot drinks cost well over 2 euro a cup, while sandwiches and pastry-encased cheese, spinach, sausage, chocolate or cream cost at least 3 euro a piece. A family of four with a delay between flights would need to spend at least 20 euro to eat here. In Hania, we spend about 40 euro for a modest but well-cooked fresh taverna family meal. I was in shock, and it was not just the cost of living that knocked me out: the Everest airport outlet was selling exactly the same spanakopita that I ate in central Athens for 3 euro and 30 cents at the airport; that's 1 euro and 35 cents more than in the other branch.

I was in two minds about what to do. In any case, there is an Everest outlet at Hania airport (which I was hoping would be open), so I decided to buy my children's meals when I arrived there instead, hoping also that I may find lower prices there. That way they would also be 'fresher'. I hopped off the aeroplane at 6.30am and walked through to the arrivals foyer. Everest was open there too: same spanakopita, same price as at Athens airport. It was too early in the morning to argue, but I've kept the receipts: one price at one outlet, a different one at another. Where I was born, we would call this a bloody rip-off. I bought two pieces of Everest spanakopita ("individually wrapped, thank you"), and took a cab, which, coincidentally, cost me twice as much as what it cost me in Athens to be driven the same number of kilometres. Where is the country heading to? I ask myself.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

14 comments:

  1. A very interesting post indeed. Bravo Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..."a bloody rip off". You're not wrong Maria! Airports are the biggest rip offs known to mankind. They have no competition usually and can pretty much charge as they see fit. A really interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool post. :) i love the idea of bagels and wine. :) i really should get myself a bottle for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add insult to injury, airlines are now starting to buy/run the shops/eateries in airports...and then they scream about lack of profits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a captive consumer when you are at the airport Maria but I am glad you enjoyed your time in Athens. I remember my time there like it was yesterday:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must sheepishly confess that I love Everest sandwiches :). Even though almost all my meals in Greece are either at my boyfriend's home or in traditional tavernas, but for the rare meal on the run, we always looked around for an Everest.

    But Maria, you've made such an excellent point about living costs. It truly baffles me. All my friends in Athens make about 1/3rd of what my boyfriend makes in LA (even after accounting for the exchange rate), despite the fact that they work in similar jobs.

    None of them can afford the rents in Athens and live with their parents. And yet the supermarket prices are about the same, or just slightly less than LA prices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've really made Athens come alive. As I love Greek architecture AND Greek food (not to mention the climate!), I'd better come and visit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great post, Maria! I LOVED the photos of the Acropolis and the excavated ruins. And, oh my gosh, those marble statues at the metro station are incredible. What a good mom you are to get food for your kids. I'd love one of those bagels and I'd love a double serving of that spanakopita. Airport food is ridiculously expensive! My dad recently visited me, and to purchase a water bottle inside the security zone costs $2.00 for a little bottle! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ripoff? Try not being a native in KoumKapi and getting stiffed 7 evro for two 250ml glasses of beer!
    I think the woman wasn't happy that we weren't ordering food.

    Never mind 3.70 evro for two small cans of Alfa at Iraklio Airport.

    Our first morning in Iraklio we had a cheese crepe from Everest for breakfast. Very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria,
    You are amazing! I also give McDonald's an A plus for bathrooms. I always stop there on my travels. Unfortunately I can't eat the food (but, opt for tea!). Thanks for taking us on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When we travel, we take food along for our layovers in the airports, I cant see paying $5 for one sandwich, and not a good one at that. Besides all that, I have to watch my diet, Doctors orders, and the airports do not have too much which is on the list of foods I can eat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post was a walk down memory lane as well as being very informative! I always make a resolution not to eat too many Pites at these places when I am in Athens. But they are tasty/tempting compared to American fast food. One time when I was there Goody's even had a DAKOS special. BTW have you ever been to Ariston? It is near Syntagma, maybe on Voulis. It is very very good, worth the cost. And sometimes you will be lucky and a magical thing will happen: You will run into someone you know while you are waiting in line for a mushroom pita.
    Thanks, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post! The last time that I was in Athens I had a great view of the Acropolis from our hotel, we didn't have the chance to vistit that time. Thanks for bringing us closer!
    Also, we had dinner in "Tourkolimono" at a seaside taverna and the food was expensive compared to what we were used to paying. And the food was only "ok".
    Airport prices are ridiculous...always have been and always will be, it's unfortunate. We used to bring our own water but now thanks to security measures in the U.S. we can't even do that anymore-and we have to pay insane prices just to remain hydrated. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do things like that too...I always like to bring something back for my littlie after a trip or an outing that she hasn't come on...u should have called since u were in Athens!!!
    xx :))

    ReplyDelete