Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 17 May 2013

Honey rosemary salmon

Salmon is very popular in Greece, and you will often find it at the fresh fish counter in most supermarkets. It's easy to cook quickly and it has a high beneficial oil content. It's a mild tasting fish, living in both fresh and salt water, so it could do with a bit more oomph to it. When my fellow food blogger friend Laurie Constantino wants a Mediterranean taste to her salmon, she uses a simple combination of honey and rosemary to make a dressing for salmon lightly fried in olive oil. It's all in line with the transparent natural flavours of Greek cuisine.


I posted this video on my facebook site in the morning, and by lunchtime, my good friend Eirini had already cooked it: "A beautiful aroma in my kitchen from the honey and rosemary and a divine flavour! So fine, so juicy and tender - I followed the directions exactly. And when my daughter came into the kitchen while I was cooking, she asked me what smells so good!" Her family loved it. 


All you need to make this dish is some honey, rosemary, olive oil and salmon fillets. Note the salmon in Eirini's photo: this is how most fresh salmon is sold in Greece, in slices. This fish is imported so we have less choice. As Eirini pointed out to me, it's not always the best salmon, so this honey rosemanry dressing is a good way to get the most flavour out of it. And that dressing looks like it has more uses: I can imagine it used with other large meaty fish slices, as well as chicken.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Maria and Eirini! So glad the recipe worked out! I like it for exactly the reason you highlighted - lots of flavor with super simple ingredients and technique. Wish both of you could taste fresh wild Alaska salmon -- it's a completely different flavor than the farmed fish I've seen being sold in Greece.

    As for the many uses for the honey, which is now a standard pantry ingredient at my house, I've had it over yogurt with a few almonds for breakfast, drizzled over tangerines for dessert, on a tray with pears, blue cheese, and walnuts (works for either appetizer or dessert), and over feta. Chicken is a good idea - I've never used it that way, but can imagine the delicious flavor. One of my favorite uses is to wrap feta in filo, bake until crispy, and drizzle with the honey. Perfect any time, breakfast, lunch, or dessert.

    Thanks again Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning!
    Just saw the comment :) Thank you very very much for this most delicious recipe Laurie! My family loved it!
    My thanks to Maria, too, for sharing the video :)

    A very good day to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully simple recipe, but with so much taste! I made this tonight and really enjoyed it. It's definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete