Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 9 May 2013

Apple and cheese scones (Σκονς - Κεκάκια Βρετανιίας)

While in London, I ate home-baked scones for the first time in what seems like two decades, with clotted cream and home-made blackberry jam. My friend is a perfectionist cook who likes to stick absolutely to traditional recipes, which is perhaps why these scones had a perfect rise, tasted very good and made a lasting impression.

I recall learning how to make scones in 'manual training' classes at primary school. What was once an institution in New Zealand schools is now a relic of the past: the phrase 'manual training' does not exist. It has probably been renamed now, but I don't really know what it would be. Manual training originally started out as a way to introduce traditional sexist tasks to children:  
Intermediate school pupils and those in Forms 1 and 2 in primary schools received what was called Manual Training. Pupils had no choice about following the sexist role. Girls studied cooking and boys went to woodwork. Girls were taught sewing in their primary school classes, but all the sewing was done by hand.
In my time, girls also got a chance to try their hand at woodwork (we made pencil holders and toast racks!) while boys also took part in cooking lessons. But only the girls went to sewing classes, and the boys went back to woodwork (or metal work) during this time.
Not using butter in the house very often, I'm not really able to reproduce this perfect little cake. Never mind that our cakes tend to be sweeter than the scone, which is sweetened by jam. Initially I wanted to make them just like the ones my friend had baked for us, but my creative side got the better of me. I had some green apples in the house which were starting to go a teensy bit sour, making them unpopular with the kids for their school lunches. In fact, I discovered that they had even returned them home one day, when I was about to refill their lunch bags (at least they didn't throw them out). Apple and cheese scones came to my mind, another Kiwi taste from my past which I hadn't had in a long time. How I remembered the combination baffles me - I'm just glad I did.
Scones are best eaten warm, and pretty much as soon as they come out of the oven. They become rather hard if left till the next day, a little like bread that has lost its freshness. To make them last a little longer for the next day's breakfast, I added an egg for a cakey effect, which I think worked quite well. After slicing them open, we heated them up in the microwave oven for 5 seconds and spread them with butter. I prefer just jam with mine. As for clotted cream, there are some things you can't really expect to find in Crete.

For the recipe, I used Nigella Lawson's recipe (see above photo), with an egg, a grated apple and some grated savoury cheese added to the mixture. The Trex was replaced with fitini (a similar greek alternative). A little less milk was required to get the dough to a kneadable form. I was in too much of a hurry to use a cookie cutter, although I think that this would give the scones a better rise, especially if they were cooked packed together side by side, as Nigella suggests in her book.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

5 comments:

  1. I have just started experimenting with scones. It is interesting to see how some don't have any eggs. A local cafe I go to serves delicious cheese scones with butter and a tomato chutney. I have made scones with cream instead of milk, and added grated lemon peel which was absolutely delicious. The second time I used dried fruit, no peel, and they were less good. Today I am going to make some lemon peel and yogurt ones. Lots of the American ones involve cutting them into wedge shapes, no kneading and just pushing down into a shape. Have you ever tried to make the rock cake or rock bun recipes? They are like a very rough scone, with mixed fruit and peel. You used to see them in bakeries in the UK, but not much, if at all now. I like to put rough sugar on top of my scones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tomato chutney, lemon peel, yoghurt- such nice ideas for these simple cakes - if i didnt add eggs, i think they would have gone stale too quickly

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I would love to make some scones, but we are avoiding all carbs at our house right now. Hubby has lost over 20 pounds. I don't know if I have lost any because I cheat! It's very hard to not eat anything with flour as an ingredient. I long for delicious fresh bread or muffins or even scones with butter and jam!
    This Sunday is Mother's Day here in the US. I AM going to make a "pound" cake for our Mother's Day dinner with friends. We will eat a tiny sliver with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
    I hate restricting what I eat but good health is the goal. Losing weight helps a lot with knee pain or high blood pressure, modern day health problems caused by how our food has been modified and downgraded over the last 30 to 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg i just had a huge discussion about the overuse of bread in greek food - it is just not necessary!

      Delete
    2. Βread was the main food in poor agricultural Greece even 50 yrs ago. What we call food now was actually a side dish to help swallow the bread, go down as we say. In previous times they handed out bread to the poor. What amazes me in the Greece of the current crisis is that they hand out packaged croissants to poor families for their children supposedly suffering of malnutrition. All common sense seems to have been lost.

      Delete