Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Picture perfect

When the scenery looks picture perfect,



and spring feels so close,



when I know I still have the freedom to walk past a field and pick the wild grasses that grow there,



when I cook meals you can never even dream of buying because they simply do not exist on the market,



I almost feel like I'm a tax evader, because I am avoiding some life's realities. In a sense, I AM a tax evader - I'm not using an electric oven, I'm not using liquid fuel, I'm not even buying half the food I use to cook with. So in a way, I am avoiding paying a lot of taxes, all in an above board and legal way, of course.

Most people will say I'm lucky to live where I live and to have such fresh produce available so cheaply to me and to know how to cook so well. Only I know how little to do with luck, and how much to do with hard work it all is, and how many compromises and sacrifices I have had to make.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,
    may be better not talking of "tax avoiding" in our country somebody could find a way to put a tax on wild edible foraging.
    Well here in Italy only to look for Mushrooms you have to pay a tax to have a permit, not talking about truffles you have to follow a course get a license and pay a tax.
    For the wild edible vegetables is only everyday more difficult to find.
    I am trying to grow the ones I know , in my garden as usual vegetables, with no much luck as they prefer to grow always elsewhere !
    Anyway is really always interesting to follow you ! The first choice,
    Angelo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is exactly what it feels like - foraging for wild edibles is suddenly becoming a big business in western countries! people charge high prices to take other people on walks through the countryside (without permits, and possibly by trespassing), to show them the wild edible greens; but the truth is that it is getting more and more difficult to forage these days due to the prices of petrol in order to find a clean area, as well as the fact that fences are put up to stop people entering private property

      Delete
  2. Yikes! "They" are going to get us one way or another.
    By that I mean those who want to control our food supply. It's a nightmare. Here in the US a few years back there was a proposal to have to "register" every farm animal with the government. I have to confess that I don't know what happened to that proposal. I haven't tried to find out, either, because I am fearful of what I might discover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! certainly they try to control us, but we need to remind them that we are not robots!

    ReplyDelete