Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Purslane and zucchini salad (Γλιστρίδα)

My uncles never buy vegetables, eating only what they grow themselves. When it's not in season in their garden, they simply do without unless they have frozen it from last season's harvests. They have salads with every meal, which are always picked fresh within the hour that they make them. Their crockery is broken, the handles of their knives are sometimes held together with wire, and they never lay a tablecloth, but their salads always taste so good because they are fresh and organic, with only olive oil to add another taste dimension to them.

Purslane (called glistrida - γλιστρίδα - in Greek) features a lot in my uncles' salads as soon as they get the summer garden going in spring. Glistrida grows unaided as soon as we start irrigating the spring-planted summer garden, usually all around the planted crops. Together with vlita, purslane forms our first free food of the season. Onion forms a staple in all their salads, and they add whatever is available in the garden: one time I saw them add slices of fresh artichokes, another time they added lettuce. In the summer, it's always tomato.

Now that the zucchini has taken off, I've been adding it fresh and raw to many Greek dishes which traditionally take cucumber. It's not a "Greek thing" to add raw zucchini to dishes - my uncles would never eat zucchini raw. They would think I was mad if I were to tell them that I have used grated zucchini in tzatziki instead of the normal cucumber. But ever since I learnt a nice technique to "cook" zucchini without heat, I find that raw zucchini is tastier than cucumber; besides, we are better at growing zucchini than we are at growing cucumber...


You need:
a small fresh zucchini (maximum diameter 3cm)
some fresh purslane (it wilts easily once cut)
an onion
some olives
some feta cheese
lemon juice
olive oil
salt

Wash the zucchini and use a mandolin slicer to cut it into thin slices. Place the zucchini in the juice of the lemon. Set aside and allow to marinate for at least a quarter of an hour. Use only the leaves of the purslane (the stems can be used, but the leaves are much tastier) - this is a tedious process but it is worth your while! Slice the onion into thin rings. Drain the lemon juice out of the zucchini. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, crumbling the feta and drizzling the olive oil and salt over them.

All this salad needs is crusty bread and a glass of wine - and a shady balcony to enjoy it on.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

7 comments:

  1. And we had all that when tasting it at your house! Don't know if you saw that I made a similar thing when we got home - just without the purslane and then I added cooked brown rice to make it more filling. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will give this a try today. I've got some cucumber in to make αγγουροντομάτα, but I do find cucumber rather boring - like, um, solid water. No chance of finding purslane, though, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we grow a local variety of cucumber called 'woody cucumber' - it tastes like cucumber but much firmer (for those who like it that way, anyway)

    try using parsley or watercress instead of purslane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cucumber freshly picked from the garden. It's such a refreshing treat with a light pinch of salt like my grandma used to offer it to us as children in the heat of the summer. On the other hand although I do like taking a bite from freshly picked courgettes I've never tried adding them raw to salads. I vote for cucumber instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your uncles sound fascinating! Tell us more about them, please. And do you have a photo or would they be upset if you posted one? I remember two old men who were uncles of my aunt's husband (we never did consider him a big part of the family)
    These two old men still lived on their parent's farm until they died. They seemed eccentric to us as little kids. They wore heavy denim overalls and jackets even in the Summer. They never married. I wish I had known them better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they do like to keep private, but i often take photos of their garden - they live as if the modern world hasnt touched them

      Delete
    2. Lucky them!

      Delete