Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 5 December 2011

Pancakes (Κρέπες)

unicef children recipe booksThere are common themes recurrent in my teaching work, which also constantly get attention in the mass media, such as education, pollution, climate change and poverty to name a few. Most Greek children know about UNICEF, and will have taken part in some of their fundraising ventures. Before I became a mother, I was fascinated by UNICEF's range of educational toys and books, and often bought products they sold, even though I didn't have a family of my own, because I could turn them into interesting projects for discussion in an English class. These books ended up becoming a part of my children's book collections, books which I mainly bought at a time when I liked the idea of cooking for multitudes, but did not have any multitudes to feed.

It's a very satisfying feeling when children show an interest in what their parents are doing around the house. No doubt, many parents will agree with me that when children see their parents doing something constructive, creative and interesting, they will happily relinquish their toys, cartoons and games, and ask to join in the 'fun', using 'adult toys'. This is slightly perturbing when they want to hold or use dangerous objects, such as clippers in the garden or knives in the kitchen. They need to be watched the whole time, but it is worth the effort. A rainy Saturday morning is better spent making biscuit dough than watching cartoons the whole day.

garden gnome garden gnome
I think the gloves attracted them more than the weeding...

Since my children discovered these UNICEF recipe books on the bookshelves, they often ask me to let them make something that they (think they will) like out of them.

la petite chef soup
My daughter likes to dress the part, but I notice she also has culinary flair.

la petite chef pizza la petite chef crepe

The recipes are organised by country, with a diagrammatic account of the ingredients required, with pictures accompanying the instructions. Each recipe is given an origin. The recipes are simple, while most require minimal cooking. The children usually choose to make chocolate sweets, but there are many savoury recipes included too, using locally grown vegetables; I also encourage the children to help me make the Greek dishes, for obvious reasons. I've made a number of dishes from these books together with the children (the countries named below are given as the origin of the recipe included in the books). Sometimes it convinces them to try the finished meal (eg aubergine dip); other times, they simply enjoyed the process of making the finished product:
  • guacomole (Mexico)
  • aubergine dip (Iran)
  • roast peppers (Greece)
  • hamburger (Canada)
  • brownies (USA)
  • chocolate biscuit balls (UK)
  • 'surprise' cake (Yugoslavia - some of these books are quite old!)
  • pancake fritters (Holland)
  • walnut crepes (Hungary)
  • chocolate tart (Switzerland)
  • hot chocolate (Holland)
By far, their favorite recipe ios the one given for walnut crepes from Hungary - but without the walnuts (since they're cooking, it's their choice)! The printed recipe contained a mistake, which I felt I had to explain to the children by reminding them that we live in the internet age, and can check any information for its validity. But the process of cooking is still fun, and the experience gained is worth the mistakes made along the way.


To make 10 large pancakes, you need:
225g flour
400 ml milk (the initial recipe said 40ml - clearly a typo!)
2 tablespoons water
3 eggs
100 grams sugar
butter/olive oil for greasing the frying pan

My daughter once again surprised me; after cooking all the pancakes herself, she presented me with the tolled up pancakes spread with chocolate and cut in bite-sized pieces.

Mix together the flour, milk, water, eggs, and sugar. Let the mixture rest for an hour. Make sure your mixture is runny. If it isn't, mix in some more milk to make a runny batter. Melt some butter (I use about a teaspoon of olive oil) in a frying pan, and pour two tablespoons of mixture into the pan. Let it spread all over the pan. Cook the pancakes, one by one, by melting a dab of butter in a small pan, and pouring two large tablespoons of the runny egg mixture into the pan. They need a high heat and constant watching over the element so as not to burn. Cook them on both sides (kids love flipping pancakes), take them out of the pan and lay them on a plate, one stacked on top of the other.

We like to serve them with chocolate spread, honey or jam. Pancakes are a simple fun way to get everyone involved in cooking. They are also a winning meal - no one says no to pancakes.
©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

8 comments:

  1. I love it when the kids are in the kitchen. It brings back such good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yia Sou Maria!

    I have found your blog to be a constant connection to what is going on in Greece. We appreciate all of the time you put into your site and we look forward to each posting...
    Thought you might be interested in this if you have not heard of this yet...
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10771528

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you bellitsa - that article was very interesting - i've put it up on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OrganicallyCooked

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pancakes where my favourite food when I was 4. Dear Mum asked me what I wanted for my 5th birthday and young me told her "Pancakes and Jelly (Jello)" The neighbours' children came over on the day expecting a Birthday Party - what they got was pancakes (with lemon juice and sugar or golden syrup) followed by jelly!!!

    I so enjoy reading your posts, and am delighted that your children are enjoying these cooking times, especially your daughter who is adding her own great touches.

    You are not missing anything here in Wellington - lots of rain just now as usual, just how our summer's start - Crete seems way nicer weatherwise.

    Sending care, love and huggles, Michelle xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, I love hearing about how others involve their children in "normal" activities. This is yet another great blog post of yours and I really enjoyed it. I was avoiding pancakes for years but finally succumbed recently. Have found them to be a great pleasure actually. I use buttermilk in mine (grew up with it) and love the taste. Although I am trying to convince the rest of the family how great pomegranate syrup is on pancakes, I am secretly fine with the fact that I am the only one consuming the syrup. I am amazed that more people don't get their kids cooking -- it is so much fun and at some point it seems to me that it starts paying off BIG TIME. i see moms of kids much older than mine, who are still making every single food in the house! Nice to see how many foods your kids have done; they will be set when it's their turn to cook for themselves. I definitely wasn't when I left for college and this inspired me to do it differently with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a sad story to share about cooking at home too - i used to love cooking, but mum didnt like us taking charge of that; she wanted to cook the way she liked - i still have to watch out for the kids int eh kitchen, as i can see that they are accident prone, and they really do need to be supervised when they are working with the gas stove, a hot frying pan and spitting oil...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pancakes are fun to make and it's great to see the kids in the kitchen! The ones with the chocolate look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for your little daughter!
    I agree that it is important to get the kids involved in cooking. After all, they are going to eat the rest of their lives, aren't they? I always say to my grownup boys (who love to cook) YOU EAT? YOU COOK! It is sad how many children cannot identify common vegetables here in the US. I love to talk about food with the kids at school. Every year I do a "tartar sauce survey" in the lunchroom to see who is "brave" enough to try it with their fish sticks. (I really am just kidding the kids and they like it when I am goofy) I also just have to recite the old rhyme for them when peas are on the menu:
    I eat my peas with honey.
    I know it isn't nice.
    It makes my peas taste funny
    but it keeps them on my knife.
    There really isn't anything more fun than spending the days with kids!

    ReplyDelete