Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 1 January 2016

Ever the optimist

Last year was bad, I hear them say,
But full of optimisim,
I say they turned it out that way
With their desires and whims.

It's not about the things you want
And those that you can't have,
Remember all that you can have
And learn to live with that.

Content'dness is quite challenging
When you feel impoverished,
But if you're reading my updates,
Most likely you're quite rich.

Should it get better nonetheless?
That may lie in your choices.
It's not your government to blame
For your unrealistic wishes.

So here's to 2016,
A new year full of hope.
Try being more sustainable,
Not bloated, fat with growth.

There are two things I wish for you
As the new year checks in:
May you be poor in pain and loss
And rich in happy things.*


Καλή Χρονιά! - Happy New Year!

*This verse is a translation of the mantinada in the image.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

3 comments:

  1. I like this Maria. But I don't understand. That sounds like your verse but you say it's from the
    Mantinada? What is that? Would you mind if I sent it to some friends?
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I Goggled it and now I get it. I should have perceived that it would be so. I did have a hunch but since the writing was in Greek.....you know.
    I really like the idea and may have to write one of my own. My subject could be that my dear hubby "dodged the bullet" on New Years Day and had a stent put in his heart. He could very easily have died because he had a blocked artery. Only by chance did he read an article in the paper about how people ignore the warning signs and delay going to the doctor. He immediately made an appointment for the next day. The dear, sweet, young doctor said to him "If you were my dad I would wheel you over to the emergency room right now."
    And that is what he did! Gracias a Dios! He's home now and feeling fine.
    So....tell your hubby about it and make sure he sees the doctor regularly.

    ReplyDelete