Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 17 February 2014

Black-eyed beans with greens

We've had gorgeous weather in the last week. The spinach is now growing really fast, together with the chard and wild greens - time to get my spring greens recipes in order.

Here's a dose of deliciousness that's easy to prepare: black-eyed beans with leafy greens.

You need:
300g dry black-eyed beans
1 large onion, chopped roughly
2-3 cloves garlic, minced finely
150ml olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
a cup of pureed tomatoes (I use my own home-made tomato sauce, but you can used tinned tomatoes
a bunch of spinach, roughly chopped
a bunch of swiss chard, roughly chopped
a small bunch of aromatic wild greens or leafy herbs, finely chopped (I use Cretan wild greens, as explained in this post, but you can use dill, sorrel, dock, parsley, mint, etc)
salt and pepper

Boil the dry beans for 5 minutes, then drain the water and rinse the beans in a colander. Heat the olive oil in a pot and cook the onion and garlic till translucent. Add the beans, tomato, salt and pepper. Stir will everything has blended, then add enough water to cover the beans and top them by about 5cm. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on the lowest heat until the beans have softened (about 90-120 minutes). Add enough water to make the stew soupy but not runny.

Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a shallow pan and wilt all the greens. Cook on low heat for fifteen minutes or so, then add them to the beans. Mix well. Serve hot, with sourdough bread, feta cheese and white wine.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

4 comments:

  1. I have had it, not quite as good as yours and i absolutely love it , this really is the dish that will convert almost anyone that does not like beans , another five star recipe for the organically cooked recipe book for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, Maria! I love beans of all kinds and greens, too. I make a soup with my husband's homemade pork sausage with ginger and garlic, white beans, cubes of potato and kale, chard or spinach. Of course, I have to add chicken stock and a pinch of red pepper flakes. I have never eaten black eyed peas. I will try this soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never eaten black eyed peas? i thought it was a usa new years staple!

      Delete
  3. I know about the tradition but I think it is primarily a southern thing.

    ReplyDelete