Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 1 July 2013

Tomato sauce for the winter (Ντοματάδα για τον χειμώνα)

The first of next winter's tomato sauce is on its way. I expect that this will become a weekly project until September.



I've had the same jar collection for a decade now, replenishing it with new ones that are added to the collection as we go through various preserved food items. When the lids get a little rusty, I throw them away and put the jar aside for recycling, so I never really run out of jars in this way.

My tomato sauce recipe hasn't changed much over the years. These days when I bottle them, I pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top of eachfilled sterlisied jar. Then I seal them with the lid, and place them upside down in a pot with some water in it. The water is allowed to boil for 10 minutes, and when the jars are lifted out, I hear that sizzling sound that you are supposed to hear when food is being preserved in this way. Olive oil is an incredible anti-oxidant, and in this way, I do not lose any sauce over the year.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

5 comments:

  1. do you ever run out of your tomato sauce , or can you make enough to last you until next season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i do run out, for about a month, but we have fresh tomatos in season now, so i am still not buying it

      Delete
  2. That tip of boiling them upside down is great. I normally boil them for 10 mins but upright and so far had no problem. But this year I will try your tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you cover them with the water, or just have it covering the lid area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just the lids, the water comes half way up the jar, not much more

      Delete