Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 12 November 2012

Greece in crisis

You will rarely see me in one of those trnedy-looking cafes that we see throughout Greece, where many beautiful people sit, often outdoors, enjoying the generally good/mild weather of our beautiful country. That's because it is generally too expensive to do this.


I can, of course, go out occassionally, without my children, and have a drink/coffee with a freind, but I don't do this much at all. In fact, I'd say that there has to be a very very very special reason for me to do this, and last week, I did in fact do this, and there was indeed a very very special reason for me to do this. And even though the coffee I had cost 66% of the cost of the coffee at this place (€3), I still felt that even that €3 amount felt like too much for my own household income level - it's just too much for a cup of coffee that we all know we can make for a lot (and I mean a heck of a lot) less in our home.

Thanks to Kostas for supplying me with the photo - it is virtually impossible for me to get my hands on such receipts, for the reasons stated above.It makes no difference where this receipt was issued - Athens, Crete, somewhere else; in a Greece of crisis, it mocks the whole show.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only pay €1,20 for a cup of Greek coffee in Plakias. The price of that club sandwich I hope it was worth it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have found a place that serves very good cappuccino for only 1.20 in hania, but the area where the cafe is located is very noisy, and i find that i simply cannot relax or even hear myself speak, so i dont really want to go back there

      i have heard of people who make a special deal with cafe owners and they pay a lower price for coffee than what is on the menucard, becayse they are regulars (or something liek that), but i find that elitist - why cant coffee be cheap for everyone?!

      Delete