Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 1 June 2010

Pasta tricolore (Μακαρόνια τρίχρωμα)

Stand up and be counted; don't be afraid of the big bad wolf. 

I am spending a lot of time these days cooking family meals, rather than dishes that I personally would like to try. These two things don't always coincide - not everyone in my house eats new greens on the market, nor does everyone want to be the guinea pig and be the first to try something totally different, but we all have to eat something, so I have to continue cooking. But every now and then, in order not to bore myself silly with the regularised Greek family meals that I am always cooking (that's usually when I start to cook badly), I like to try something new, at the risk of hearing all manner of whining and winging at the lunch table.

coloured peppers

I was recently tempted to buy these colourful bell peppers, which are nearly always imported to Greece. The imported ones are usually produced in Israel (a strange place to grow water-needy crops, since Israel has a serious water shortage) or Holland (another strange place to grow anything, since Holland has a shortage of land; most of their exported crops - and they do export a lot - are grown hydroponically). Both these countries have a high level of technology, which is how they can grow their fresh produce - and a more powerful network of trading partners, so that they can sell their produce profitably.

Israeli produce imported to Greece consists mainly of familiar food items that are being grown or distributed out of season (Israeli pomegranates and loquats are commonly found on the shelves of Cretan supermarkets), so it's highly unlikely that I would need to buy such produce, since I would have had my fill of these in their season. When the time comes for endives to be cultivated in Greece, I'll probably stop buying Dutch products too. There's a growing awareness of food origins in today's society, and since we generally like to know where our food comes from, it pays to know that many products labelled as Israeli may actually be grown in Palestine (both by Palestinians and Israelis occupying the West Bank). Food labels also make political points, as the following contributor to a BBC Have Your Say discussion states:
"I'd rather know where everything came from, be it food, clothes, electrical goods etc. At the end of the day if I'm opposed to Israeli settlements then I should know if someone is trying to sell me food from them."
In the same vein, one of Europe's greatest citrus importers is, surprisingly, Holland - but she grows none herself. Holland picks up the produce from other countries and then re-distributes them, making her look like an exporter. People generally like to make informed choices for their purchases. Food labelling by country of origin doesn't just reduce sales; by labelling the origin of food correctly, it could also increase sales.

Getting back to those colourful bell peppers, they are most often sold at the supermarket pre-packaged, each packet containing one pepper of each colour: red, orange and yellow. Why they hardly ever include the green bell pepper in that packet is another of life's marketing mysteries: Is it that it adds to the price that the consumer is willing to pay for this kind of thing? Isn't the number four a classic food marketing number?

So when I found these bell peppers all being sold singly, AND bearing the label 'ΚΡΗΤΗΣ' (and not israel or Holland), I exhaled a sigh of relief - now I feel justified to buy and use these peppers.

coloured peppers

Having said this, slice those peppers in half and take a closer look at them. The green pepper (commonly produced all over the island) has a thinner flesh than the red-orange-yellow varieties - that's partly a sign of the method used to produced the coloured varieties. They probably get more chemical fertilisers, they are probably more sensitive plants and they are more likely to be grown in greenhouse conditions. They are also more expensive than the green ones. They tasted sweeter than the green pepper, but the latter smacked of pepper flavour, whereas the other ones had a sugary water taste to them. And worst of all, they were more vulnerable than the green ones - they began to soften too quickly, before I could use them all up. Their high water content made them go mushy in some parts very quickly - this kind of mould spreads very quickly on vegetables.

coloured peppers spaghetti sauce coloured peppers spaghetti

You can't really win when you buy new varieties of crops, even if they are local. Eventually these varieties will adapt to Greek soil, but it will all take time. Till then, you'll just have to enjoy what's on the market. I used my peppers in a simple pasta sauce made with olive oil, onions and garlic, and a seasoning of salt and pepper. There were too many to go into the pasta dish, so the remaining were used as an addition to a cabbage salad, and spaghetti bolognaise.

spaghetti bolognaise

Whatever the politics that went into these dishes, the outcome was very appealing.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

11 comments:

  1. I love to cook grilled red or orange peppers, not too assiduously cleaned of their burned skin, and dressed with olive oil, garlic and basil. I can never get to like them prepared any other way. If I cook them in sauces they always turn out wet, washed-out, slithery and flabby. Only solution would be to grow my own, if I ever have anywhere to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often have similar issues with garlic here in Sydney. A lot of it comes from China! Although cheaper it often lacks any kind of taste...so ther have been a few people boycotting it! I like your simple pepper sauce Maria...great with the pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the type of salad that Vilges mentions. I have never been sure if it is Italian, Portuguese or any other nation that lays claim to it.I also love peppers with pasta and stuffed as the Greek do for gemista..my personal favourite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The owner of the shop that sells biological produce told me that the Palestines are (or used to be by now?) the ones that grow the biological crops.

    I live in Holland (my name is Hanneke, I should sign in one of these days) and I like to try to avoid the greenhouse produce, but that means that I often eat imported vegetables and fruits. Actually, I didn't know endives where grown here. I like them too (In dutch they're called witlof, or brussels lof, so I associate it with Belgium. Lof comes from loof, leaf in english. Wit is white)

    I would love to eat some Cretan stuff now and then, buy the way, as a special treat. I have some thyme and oregano left from the last time I was there.

    Tomatos from the greenhouses or on Crete are worlds apart in taste. Or used to be. A while ago I found some cute small biological tomatos in the supermarket, called "San Marzano" that are from Holland and they taste great. I have no idea how they do it, they must come from greenhouses. Maybe I'll be able to find out how?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the comment, hanneke

    i also had the idea that the palestinians were the ones growing the organic produce (but we never see anything labeled palestinian)

    it's interesting that you didnt know endives were grown in holland - they may actually not be grown in holland, but again, the labelling is misleading: belgium grows them, passes them on to holland, who then re-exports them (this also happens with citrus - holland is one of europe's greatest 'exporters' of citrus fruit - but she produces none herself!)

    here'e my theory on the taste of cretan tomatoes: they are grown under the mediterranean sun on mediterranean earth - they taste of mediterranea! but technology of course is progressing and greenhouse technology in holland is worlds apart from what we have here in greece - up to now we have the land recources), but of course, one day this will run out as all resources eventually do, and i wouldnt be surprised to see hi-tech greenhouses coming into play in crete too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's face Maria Crete is a totally different "country"in every aspect and I mean this in the best possible way. Did you know that only the Cretan hoteliers took the initiative and lowered their prices substantially to attract tourism? I also heard that once a week all supermarkets have special prices to fight the crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm not sure about that greg
    people here say that hotels are still expensive (altho i havent looked around for prices)
    as for the supermarkets, i go there regularly, and i wouldnt say anything is cheap; let's just say i'm not a heavy apender
    this is interesting info you are offering - where did you find it??
    ps i know crete is different from the rest of the country - maybe this is not actually a good thing at the moment, when we need to show a united front to the world

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Maria, Hanneke again, thanks for your reply! I read your interesting blog very often, but have only commented once, I think, a while ago, when you wrote about quinces. (And maybe when you posted that marvelous photo made in/near Fournes)

    Usually i don't wear my glasses in shops and can't read the lables without squinting. They often are a meter or so away. So maybe that's why i'm too ignorant. And i must admit that the biological shop doesn't lable much, they're understaffed.

    About the tomatoes and other things grown on Crete: i think i have read somewhere, or it's my own theory(?), that apart from the sun of course, the beautiful aroma's from all the herbs in the mountains make everything taste so much better.

    I have read that a dutch man has introduced greenhouse technology to Crete, Ierapetra I think, years ago. I am sorry. Of course it is nice and economically important to have all kinds of goodies to grow/eat, but all those pieces of plastic blown away by the wind i don't like. Or maybe this isn't so bad these days. (It's 8 years sinds I had a holiday and was on Crete, it is terrible - and yes being dutch might mean I am extra economical, still having some herbs left from the big bags I bought last time. Though maybe more sentimental, ijn this case. I'm still saving up for my next holiday, in fact. I hope later this year, or next spring. But you wrote that you like to be οικονομικi - i just looked it up, not sure about the grammar though)

    You wrote about the tax reforms this week, how very surprising. I do hope people will continue growing their own vegetables.
    Here there are different things going on with food, on the one hand biological culture is promoted (Albert Hein, the biggest grocer, probably infamous too, has cheaper prices this week for greens and other biological foods.) But there is also "gentech", manipulation of species in a way that i distrust.
    There were also "snack" plants on sale, mini tomatoes and mini peppers that you can grow in pots.
    On the whole I think many people want to have nice and healthy foods, and growing stuff yourself might be fashionable. Recently there was a show called "the edible garden" on the BBC that i enjoyed very much.(I have a garden, but more flowers and fruit, no veggies. A lot of shade...)

    This is becoming a very long story, i hope you don't mind!

    There was only one thing: the dutch have always been traders of course (we visited the flower auction house in primary school) and also traded by boats/ships, but haven't the cretans (and greeks) been doing that a lot too?
    I like greek music a lot(!), and i read somewhere that in the 19th century there was a lot of contact between the people of Crete and Smyrna. This was about music, but i thought that the contacts might have consisted about trade mainly. The turqish in power have probably influenced... Well, I hope there will not be so many high tech greenhouses on Crete,(many people object to all that stuff here)

    I am very curious about how things are on Crete right now. I read somewhere on internet that people have very little money for gas, so they don't go out much in the weekend for instance. Is that true?

    I think there are many people that love Crete (and Greece) and will spend their holidays there, whatever the papers say, or don't say. In "the" paper on internet somebody called for tax reduction measures here, so that as many people as possible would go to Greece. (Won't happen, but just to say)

    I'll stop here, off to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have so many interesting ideas, and i can say you are very well-informed
    where i work, we do a lot of experimentation with greenhouse technology, but there is also the gentech type of research which i agree, i wouldnt want to eat, but that's how food is going these days
    send me an email at mverivaki hotmail dot com and i will reply to your message more formally!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Among all the things and boxes I'm preparing for our moving, there are some seeds of my favourite plants that are making my dishes special! Will they grow in pots??? Who knows... At least I'll try...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love using these peppers. I like to make a pepperonata, similar to what you've don with the pasta but I put raisins in mine, gives it a little sweetness. It's an Italian recipe that I use. I also snack on them throughout the day.

    To Marina..just about anything will grow in a pot if you care for it. I had an all container garden on my balcony in the U.S. before moving to Greece.

    ReplyDelete