Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 3 December 2009

Fragrant meatballs (Μυρωδάτες κεφτέδες)

Here's a quick and easy recipe I found for fried meatballs, from one of those Sunday newspaper supplements (the Ethnos Cookbook), which will one day disappear with the demise of the paper-based media, in the same way that Gourmet folded recently.

You need:
1 kg beef mince
1 egg
1/2 cup olive oil
2 onions, grated
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 small bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tsp oregano
2 spring onions, finely chopped (I didn't have any on hand, so I used a leek instead)
the juice of a lemon
1/2 glass of white wine
2 tbsp of chopped parsley
1+1 shot-glasses of ouzo (or tsikoudia, if you are Cretan)
2+2 shot-glasses of water
100g bread
salt
pepper

mixture for keftedes meatballs keftedes meatballs
Mine got a little singed, but don't you let that happen to yours when you make them...
keftedes meatballs

Soak the bread in 1 shot of ouzo and 2 shots of water. Mix all the other ingredients together, till everything has combined very well. Add the bread and mix that in well. Set the mixture aside for 3-4 hours for the fragrances to combine, then shape into small rounds the size of a golf ball. Roll the balls in flour, and let rest for 2 minutes. Fry the balls in very hot oil, turning over all sides until a hard crust is formed, then lower the temperature and cook till the meatballs are cooked through and are well browned.

These meatballs are hard and crisp on the outside but soft and tender on the inside. They can be served with a salad and some fried potatoes; we had them with beetroot salad and some galotiri dip.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

8 comments:

  1. The variety of herbs is breathtaking!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, anything with ouzo has my name on it! I love these and will make them for a Xmas cocktail party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They've got an amazingly crisp crust! Sounds good with the herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to an event for the opening of a new cooking magazine Savour here in British Columbia. All the while I was wondering what they had that would keep them afloat with the demise of Gourmet in the background. These meatballs really are a wonderful treat Maria and I will have to give them a try!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouso infused meatballs? - I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've added a splash of Ouzo to keftedakia and I like the result. Mia xara fainoun edo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Μυρωδάτοι κεφτέδες και γευσάτοι!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad I found your blog, I almost went to Crete last week but I found flights only to Rhodes, next year perhaps. I love Greek cooking and Mediterranean in general so fresh and colorful. Like the idea of adding ouzo to the meat mixture, I used white wine instead as ran out of ouzo.

    ReplyDelete