Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 26 November 2009

Umami (Ουμάμι)

A little while back, after I had had a satisfying meal which consisted of tasty pastry-topped boureki (the chef at work had cooked it), a healthy (as usual) meal, based on the Mediterranean diet that I have been trying to raise my family on, I had a craving which I couldn't quite place. As I munched my way through the boureki, I thought about how my husband would be ladling the lentils I had cooked the previous night onto the children's plates, and how they would be very thankful for it, as they mopped up the sauce left on their plates with sourdough bread. An apple was offered as desert after the meal at work, but I passed on it. I wasn't hungry, but I knew I still wanted to eat something, something I still couldn't pinpoint. I went back to the office, and began to hammer out the last of the translations in a set of files all about natural resources management.

But my mind was still on food, and the taste (or lack of it) in my mouth. I let some time pass before I went out to the canteen to get myself a coffee. I had had an enjoyable meal for lunch, but for some reason my palate felt dry, though my stomach was full. The canteen was full of those tempting chocolatey biscuity bites that I usually fall for at times like these, when I crave for something to satisfy my palate, without exactly being able to pinpoint what it is that I want to eat. But even there, I found nothing that I really wanted to munch on at that moment.

Back at home, I found the dishes in a neat pile, waiting for me on the benchtop. I opened the fridge, without any particular food in my mind; I hoped that, by looking around on the shelves, I would find something that would tempt me and satisfy my craving. The leftover lentils had been placed tidily in a small bowl in the fridge. Salty lentils was not what I was after. Behind the bowl, there was a bar of dark chocolate with a citrus filling. No, I wasn't after a sweet, either, although this seemed like a logical choice. I even resorted to opening the deep freeze (that's when you know you're desperate). But there was nothing in there either, and even if there was, it would require defrosting and cooking.

I began to think of next day's meal. The vegetable box was crammed with round purple aubergines. The Asian bottled sauces on one of the shelves caught my attention. Thoughts of MSG clogged my taste-consumed mind. I suddenly realised that what my body was craving for was something savoury, exotic, uncommon. But you can't eat bottled sauces straight from the container. So desperate was I to get my taste satisfaction that I decided to cook a Chinese meal right after coming home from work; at least all that cleaning and slicing and chopping would keep my mind occupied... I set about slicing the aubergines into small chunks to make a stir-fry that I could serve with rice noodles.

Just as I had oiled the pan, the phone rang. "Hello?... basketball... first meeting... tonight... gymnasium... 6.30pm... OK." I wouldn't have time to cook a meal now. I left the aubergines on the kitchen bench and got the children ready for the meeting. The phone call had, for the time being, freed my mind of foodie thoughts.

After driving in circles trying to find a place to park the car, we met up and made arrangements with the gym teacher. The children spent some time shooting baskets; I marveled at their energy, feeling guilty about my food-obsessed thoughts when I could have been thinking instead about ways not to eat. When we came out onto the street, darkness had descended but the air was warm, and there quite a few people taking advantage of the good Cretan climate on this early autumn evening, sitting at the outdoor tables of the fast food outlets in the area, with the atmosphere permeated by the smell of souvlaki. Then it struck me: that was my missing mystery taste; umami was on my mind. So much for all that healthy cooking and eating with loads of fruit and vegetables; my body was craving the taste found at the top of the Mediterranean diet pyramid: I want me some meat.

souvlaki
After getting my fix of umami, I craved no more... Four souvlaki yiros and three soft drinks set my family back by 15 euro.

We had a family meal at Vantes, a well-known souvlaki diner in a built-up busy congested area. The sounds of the traffic did not deter from the taste of this favorite Greek specialty. As I greedily swallowed my meat-filled pita, I wondered what vegetarians did when they craved some umami. Chinese bottled sauces, I suppose?

*** *** ***

Since my recent visit to Vantes, I have also discovered that Hania is no longer limited to tried and true Cretan menu favorites. There was a whole host of different souvlaki meat offered at this souvlatzidiko (the traditional Greek fast food outlet), with a variety of toppings, just as one would expect to find in a mainland souvlaki shop: traditional yiro served with yoghurt, chicken yiro served with turmeric-flavoured yoghurt, doner kebab served with tzatziki and something called 'souvlaki Thessalonikis' which I didn't get to try this time round (this obviates the need for another visit - soon). Even bouyiourdi (albeit under a different name) was also on the menu, as was tirokafteri, both north mainland cheese dips, having made their way to Hania and now included as standard fare in taverna menus.

yiro elassona central greece
Souvlaki served close to the central bus station in Elassona, Northern Greece.
elassona central greece

The best souvlaki I have ever tasted needs special mention. It was cooked in Elassona,in Central Greece. It looked like any other ordinary souvlaki, but the taste in that one smacked of umami in its most glorious form. We decided that its superior taste had to do with the animal husbandry techniques and cooking styles of the mainland. And just for the record, in Ellasona, souvlaki yiro is served, not with yoghurt or tzatziki, but with mustard and ketchup: very Greek, n'est-ce pas?! When we asked for yoghurt on the children's yiro and a serving of tzatziki with ours instead of the standard fare of the locality, the souvlaki shop owner said: "You're from Crete, aren't you?" So there you go...

If you don't have a souvlatzidiko near you, you can make this delicacy at home with any leftover roast and some decent pita bread.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhh just seeing that souvlaki made my mouth instantly water! That's what I get for checking my blogroll at 3am while pulling an all-nighter...a craving I can't satisfy until at least lunch time tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not claim to be an expert by any means but the best souvlaki I have ever had was in Meteora across the street from our hotel in Kastraki. Now I have a craving for meat as well as some garlicky tzatziki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am not surprised meteora had good souvlaki - elassona is on a similar route and they raise good meat here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very filling gyro with the tender meat and creamy yogurt,love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder about vegetarian umami too. Maybe cheese or mushrooms would do the job. And I wonder if those Chinese sauces were invented to make things taste meaty?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent choice for satisfying the umami craving withount having to cook loads of meat. I do it occassionally on Friday evenings when things start to relax in the house. Yoghurt on souvlaki? Never heard of it, just tzatziki or tyrokafteri. Could it be some connection with the turkish cuisine where they add yoghurt on kebab called Iskender (Alexander) kebab?

    ReplyDelete
  7. no yoghurt on your souvlaki? oh my god, we must be cretans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why oh why did I have to read this at 10 am!! I often find that when I have made something like lentils we feel like a souvlaki in the evening. What's up with that? Umami maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting Maria...I have to be very honest and say I don't really know much about "unami". Meat cravings? Savoury? That's usually me! And it's always tzatziki on my souvlaki (here in OZ). Although the mustard and ketchup does sound good too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The serving of gyro with ketchup and mustard is standard throughout Makedonia too. Now I want Gyro (even though it's breakfast time).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can so relate to you Maria. SOmetimes souvlak is the only umami I really want to taste. It is actually my favourite junk food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. a friend asks: what's the distinction between souvlaki and gyros? I know that may seem like a silly question, and I thought I knew, but I feel confused now since it seems they get used interchangeably... for me souvlaki is meat cooked on a skewer, then either left on it or taken off the skewer and put in a pita with tzatziki/yogurt and toppings. Gyros are either the pre-fab cones of meat on a vertical rotisserie that are shaved into strips, or stacked slabs of meat piled onto a vertical rotisserie, and shaved in the same fashion. But in the blog post you linked to, you label a picture as a souvlatzidiko in Thessaloniki, but to me the pic looks like the place serves gyros. Also, what's the more common name for such an establishment - souvlatzidiko, or gyradiko? Are they interchangeable?

    Also, is there any truth to the stories I heard as a child about gyros being banned as street food in Greece, because the vendors were using questionable meat?

    Also, what are the main regional variations? I know Cretans put plain yogurt on, and have fries in, but I only ate one gyro in Thessaloniki, and I forget how it was different, except that there were other sauces on offer...

    Here's my response:
    souvlaki and gyro - interchangeable; but one means 'roll' while the other one means 'stick' - souvlaki (stick) can also mean meat on a stick, ie skewer, which we call 'xilaki' or souvalki', but both gyro and souvlaki are used for the pita roll-up; as you say, souvalki may be skewered meat or shaved meat that is put in a pita - you simply specify which one you want (if the choice is available)

    souvlatzidiko - the generic name for souvlaki-selling shop, which always means they sell gyro (always!); gyradiko is also used in crete, but far less frequently (altho this may not be true up north)

    ban on gyro/souvlaki - that would make a great april fool's day story! but seriously, i have to ask about that one - and my husband is the perfect person to ask about it!

    regional variations - unbelievably distinct, if you ask me! here goes:
    nearly everywhere: meat is mainly pork, always chicken as an alternative, and beef is now popular and in demand all over the coutnry (in more recent times, it never uysed to be, unlike in the past, when it was nearly always beef, and pork was introduced as a cheap alternative)
    fries: some areas include them, some don't (in hania, they are considered standard fare when you ask for απ'όλα)
    yoghurt: contrary to popular belief, it definitely isnt considered standard, as you will have gathered from my blog post - some places use yoghurt, others use tzatziki, and many many others (ie central/northern greece) consider gyro sandwich as being incomplete without ketchup and mustard or mayonnaise!!!!! we ascertained this on our travels two years ago, and since then, i have asked my husband specifically to buy a souvlaki at every sinlge place we stop at, so we can judge the variations!!!!

    ReplyDelete