Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Saturday 24 October 2009

Chocolate chip cookies revisited (Και πάλι κούκιζ)

The last of the chocolate chip cookie dough that I had made recently was frozen in little balls, ready to be cooked, after thawing a little (I simply defrosted them without allowing them to thaw completely). I thought I would be glad to see the last of them, after all that strife they caused me when I first made them. Even if our dog were to enjoy most of them this time round, at least the freezer would be cleared and I would have more space for more 'useful' things.

"These ones are better, Mum."

This did not happen, after all. This time, I followed the advice of all the people who commented, and made a crispier version of these cookies (as opposed to biscuits!), the more preferable cookie/biscuit texture for the Greek palate. (Mine burnt around the outer rim, but we simply chopped off the slightly blackened bits. If I had watched over them more carefully, I could have avoided this.) And yes, success! They were good - perhaps, a little too big, but delicious all the same (Greek cookies are smaller, just big enough to dunk in milk or coffee, enjoying two or three in one sitting.)

Chocolate chip cookies can also be bought very cheaply at the supermarket (the red packet was on a buy-one-get-one-free special at 0.69 cents). They are completely different in taste to the home-made version of this American favorite, made for the Greek palate.

These cookies are a wonderful alternative to our normal breakfast, preferably on a cold Saturday morning, when they can be served warm. The dough can be frozen, ready to cook whenever you want, and chocolate chip cookies do not need a long cooking time, even if you prefer them crispy. The recipe does not need to be changed; the cooking method needs to be altered to suit the culinary customs of the eaters.

Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me to enjoy the globalised chocolate chip cookie in its freshest form.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

7 comments:

  1. Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite! For years we have toted bags of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels and vanilla extract each summer. In fact there are still two large bags in the fridge now. In the past it was difficult to find these, at least not at the stores near us. I'm glad the cookies worked out better this time. My mother has always followed the recipe on the Nestle bag for Toll House cookies, it's extremely simple- even I can manage it. We'll have to have a cookie baking session next summer with the children. Actually, she had planned to do so this past summer, but we never got around to it.

    One word of caution, "even if our dog were to enjoy them this time round..." Chocolate is very bad for dogs, it contains a chemical that is toxic to their systems and can cause quite serious reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! At least all your trouble didn't go to waste! I am glad kids liked them in the end, and I agree: they are so perefct for a luscious breakfast with cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. even my husband liked them - he prefers them to be smaller becuase when they are crispy, they can be dnked in milk or coffee (another typical greek way to enjoy our cookies)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that everyone got to enjoy the cookies! A homemade cookie and milk is one of life's treasures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all like cookies but homedade ones are lovable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your story has a happy ending, and it's nice that you could adapt the outcome even after the dough was made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fun. I like these and make them too. I was wondering if you have ever made a pralina? We got them on Poros one time when we were having a chocolate deprivation moment (not so common in Greece now). They were like brownies, not as sweet. Every time the baker saw me he would laugh and say, Yes I have your pralina!

    ReplyDelete