Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 27 July 2009

To your health! (Στην υγειά σας!)

I've been perfecting my chocolate zucchini cake over the summer with this year's zealous zucchini crop, and I think I've hit the jackpot with this recipe. I've made it a zillion times and no one ever gets tired of it. It is very tasty, extremely easy to make, and contains very healthy ingredients. It might even make the menu of Angelina's Kitchen in Historic Downtown Pittsboro in North Carolina.

chocolate zucchini banana cake

You need:
2 1/2 - 3 cups of all-purpose flour
4 - 6 tablespoons of cocoa (the more cocoa, the less visible the zucchini is)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
some vanilla essence
2/3 cup olive oil
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
2 eggs
1 ripe banana
1 oversized courgette (which will yield about 2 cups of grated unpeeled zucchini when the water is squeezed out of it) or a few small ones

an oversized zucchini courgette marketably sized courgette zucchini
Zucchini can be a nuisance when it becomes extra large. Marketable ones are never large, even though they taste just the same as small ones, but (er-hem) size matters according to the kind of use you want to make of it...

Prepare the zucchini by grating it and adding a heaped teaspoon of salt. Mix this into the zucchini very well. Squeeze the zucchini to start extracting and discarding all its liquid. When it is damp and firm, add the sugars, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well to get a uniform mixture.

Then add the eggs, oil and mashed banana, and mix well again. Make sure that the zucchini is all coated in the chocolate mixture and won't be visible when it's cooked (children won't eat green chocolate cake unless they are exceptionally precocious and can estimate the health benefits they will derive from it). Now add the flour cup by cup, beating well after each addition. The batter should be a thick mud consistency.

Pour the batter into a greased baking tin. I had only a small one available, so I also used two ramekins and cooked separate cakes which I gifted to the neighbours. Cook for 40 minutes, or until a knife pierced through the cake comes out clean. The olive oil (which can be substituted with other lipids, like 180g margarine) makes the cake very light in texture, and slightly crumbly; the banana gives it a nice aroma. The cake can easily be eased out of the baking tin once it has cooled down; in any case, it is cut in slices and each slice easily lifts out of the tin.

chocolate zucchini banana cakes
One for us and two to give away

Extremely healthy, extremely moist, extremely delicious. To make it more festive (labeit less healthy), a chocolate syrup (like the one mentioned here, minus the egg yolks) can be poured over it. When the cake has cooled down slightly, cut it into diamonds or squares and pour the hot syrup over it. It will taste just like the kind of chocolate cake served at upmarket dessert cafes in the best parts of town.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

18 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about your cake and have yet to try this recipe!!! Shame on me, I'll get to it with my zucchinis!
    I hope that it makes the menu, that would be such a great compliment to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah! we finally have the recipe! Thanks for this Maria. Time to bribe my nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so bookmarking this recipe, Maria! Healthy and tasty - I don't ask for more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those farmers at the farmers market who were not willing to give me their zucchini flowers are now regretting their choice since they now have an overabundance of huge zucchini. Of course we can make zucchini cake which is always delicious, but you can only have so many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should try this one, or maybe I should take a drive to Pittsboro (maybe 40 minutes from where I live).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious, Maria. I imagine that is is so fragrant when baking with the combination of chocolate, banana and the olive oil! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand what you mean by "grating" and the squeezing water out? Do you mean removing the skin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to appear to be thick but let's take this in stages:
    1. Grate the zuchinni with a grater into a pulpy mess, add salt.
    2. Squeeze the pulpy mess in a sieve to extract the water?

    This is a similar procedure as with Tzaziki and cucumbers presumably?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Will try this at the weekend when I'm back at home. I adore moist cakes....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'll have to give it a try one day. I love zucchini bread. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but this looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolatey and healthy is the perfect combination! This must be a wonderful cake, and very moist with the zucchini and banana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, but I've never tried it in a cake! It sounds very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to making this over summer. Have come across zucch cakes here made with a few spices - cinnamon mostly. All were light to eat.

    Especially like that your recipe uses olive oil. With banana in it I'd cut back on the sugar for my self - I don't have a sweet tooth.

    What a great way to smuggle veggies and fruit into children ( and reluctant grown ups)!!

    care and huggles from a dry Wellington, Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made chocolate and zucchini cupcakes and they were delicious. this recipe looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been using olive oil with much success in this recipe--along with applesauce (instead of the banana). Glad to see it made it into the formal recipe! It is a good one.
    joy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! I had zucchini bread and this approach is similar with a very delicious "happy ending".

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favorite cakes, but without the banana.I use some almonds instead of it.

    ReplyDelete