Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 9 February 2009

Ravioli with simple parsley pesto (Ραβιόλι με γρήγορο πέστο μαϊντανό)

The day I cooked Diana Abu-Jaber's fried chicken livers, my children also asked me to make them some home-made fettuccine. They are wonderful eaters when they see me preparing the food, so I thought I'd turn the pasta into ravioli this time, as the inspiration had come to me from Food Junkie, who was also my inspiration for making my own pasta.

pureed fried chicken liver ravioli pureed fried chicken liver ravioli
Follow cupcake's instructions to make the ravioli shapes.

My meat stuffing was some of the fried chicken liver, mashed up in a blender. The children also helped me to make these (hence the reason why some of them opened), which is probably why they enjoyed eating them.

pureed fried chicken liver ravioli pureed fried chicken liver ravioli

When I served them up, my son asked me if I "had any of that green stuff they put on macaroni at MAICh". He had tried pesto for the first time at my workplace. As he is a terrible greens eater, I thought this was my chance to get him to eat this colour without it being hidden, so I speedily produced a parsley-garlic-olive oil pesto. I don't think I've ever produced a pasta sauce so quickly: I did it for health reasons. If you want to see your kids eating healthy food, you have to put them in the picture!

chicken liver ravioli with parsley garlic pesto

You need:
a few sprigs of parsley
1 clove of garlic (I use our own garden-grown garlic, which grows smaller and spicier than what I can buy from stores, which, would you believe it, is imported from China!!!)
4 tablespoons of olive oil (remember, this is going to make a single-serve sauce which doesn't have many other liquids in it)
salt to taste

Put all the ingredients in a blender and puree them. If they don't puree easily, add some water. hey presto, you've got your pesto!

Pour your pesto over a plate of hot pasta of your choice - you don't need to make it yourself!

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

16 comments:

  1. I love this on so many levels. First, because you involved your children. I need to do a better job of that. Next, I love that presto pesto that you whipped together. And last but not least, I love your ravioli filling! I like chicken liver, but have never had it with pasta. What an awesome idea to make it into filling. Another winner from Mediterranean Kiwi! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Maria! great to see the kids enjoy cooking their own food...I love the quick pesto you made as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're tracking! I just finished writing the recipe for the ravioli we had for dinner tonight. It always seems like an intimidating task and is so much easier than it seems. And I also did it to use leftovers. Kismet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always admire those who take the time to make their own pasta. The parsley pesto sauce would have been the perfect accompaniment and if the kids enjoy it all the better:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's what I like to see: kids requesting the green stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ravioli and the pesto doesn't overwhelm it! I also like that your recipe is single serve - so many others yield such a huge amount. This way, it's always fresh. And there's something so satisfying about getting children excited about cooking: there are so many opportunities for lessons all while having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo sou! When the pasta is fresh and homemade, simple is best...one wants to taste the "spitisio" pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm, looks wonderful. Are you sure you're not Italian :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you've got him into pesto, could you smother some green veg in it and see if he'll eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, good for you for making homemade pasta. I've only tried once or twice. It's great and you know what's in it. The ravioli looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Giggle! Giggle! The OC son requesting some "green stuff," that is progress indeed.
    Soon he'll be asking for a plate full of vlita, well maybe not too soon. Siga, Siga


    P.S. a much belated Happy Birthday to you my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish my ravioli would turn out a quarter as beautiful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria,
    Beautiful pasta! Your children not good eaters, they are G-R-E-A-T eaters. And you are a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep saying I want to make pasta from scratch and yet never do. The ravioli look lovely and it's fun to watch the kids help, isn't it? Messy ... but fun! The chicken liver ravioli stuffing sounds quite good, very different!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Synharitiria! Great food! I'll bake Afghans for my children tomorrow. As a Greek/Kiwi (Wellingtonian) I have to disagree with your premise that Kiwis don't move around a lot. I've met so many over the years, in a lot of countries. I've lived more years out of NZ than in. Kiwis are adventurous people. When they travel, they really travel. Kali orexi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice to meet you daphne
    you're right - new zealanders move around a lot. i'm a little stagnant here in crete, but i hope i change this some time soon

    ReplyDelete