Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Saturday 10 May 2008

Frappe and instant coffee (Φραππέ και νεσκαφέ)

... (the beginning of the story can be found at the Hania daily photo site)

“Would you like a frappe, Maria?” she asked me. I told her that I never drink frappe coffee, even though I’ve been in Greece long enough to know that everyone drinks frappe and nothing else. At work, when I ask for a instant cup of hot coffee, they ask me how I can drink the stuff in the heat. I would dearly love to ask them which heat they are talking about, since all the rooms are air-conditioned, and you need a shawl to cover your back so you don't get a chill. I don't know what it is with Greeks and those cold frothy coffees they serve here, which all tourists find a novelty when they first come here and order them at the old harbour. A friend of mine once told me that the coffee grounds used to make it contain Greek olive oil-based soap, which is what creates the froth (soap suds?!?), but I'm wondering if that's just a way to advertise their product: "Drink frappe: the cleanest coffee in the world." I wonder if tourists would still drink it if they realised just how much coffee is used to make one frappe: nearly one tablespoon! Don't they wonder why their nerves are jittery afterwards? Do they know that it could bore holes through their intestines?

... (the end of the story can be found at the Hania daily photo site)

A whole coffee-table book has been dedicated to the making of this unique, utterly Greek-born, elixir, which has caught on all over the Balkans (and beyond). To make cold frothy frappe coffee, you need:
a large teaspoon of granular instant coffee
1-2 teaspoons of sugar
a shaker
a large glass
a straw
ice cubes
refrigerated water
milk (optional)
Measure the coffee and sugar into a shaker, and a little bit of the refrigerated water - about three tablespoons. Close the shaker, and shake the mixture about until the coffee becomes frothy and hardly any runny liquid is left in the shaker. Pour this froth into a glass and add some ice cubes to reach the top of the glass. Add as much cold water (and milk) needed to top up the glass. Stick a straw into it.

Enjoy this coffee while sitting on a balcony overlooking the sea, having cancelled all your morning's appointments. If you're having it at a cafe, sip on it slowly - it's meant to last you at least an hour. Don't do what I did when I first came to Greece - I drank it in the same way that I enjoy a cup of hot coffee, prompting my cousin to say: "Hey, slow down! If you drink frappe so quickly, what are you going to do for the rest of the time that we're sitting in the cafe?"

I must admit that I didn't make this frappe; I much prefer my coffee percolated. And for a completely different perspective on coffee, try Abraham's coffee soup or maybe some Cretan mountain tea.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

8 comments:

  1. Hasn't frappe become the national drink? BTW, the coffee soup link was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so rarely have frappe - I guess because we don't often have the weather. But it's great as a treat on really hot days. Now I have a recipe, I might just try making it myself - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a frappe person for the reason you say - the amount of caffeine just does me in. I have to disagree with you about something else though and that is you indeed ARE a good cook. Making up recipes doesn't mean a thing - it's all about your sense of taste and ability to make the best use possible of the ingredients you have. And you do all that. Very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Perosnally I really dislike frappe. To be honest, I don't consider it to be 'real' coffee, but in any case it's WAY too strong for my taste. When I used to live in Greece I had some frappe from time to time, just because people offered, but since I've moved to London I haven't had it once.

    Anyway! Just wanted to say I like your blog, congratulations.
    Best wishes from London
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember having this. I have added you to my Blog as you have GREAT greek recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice article, Maria! Thanks for sharing!
    Regards from Flickr contact!
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  7. soap in frappe !!! thats a stupid thought!!!

    Frappe is made using ordinary instant coffe.
    Instead of hot water you add cold and shake it. That's all.

    Frappe is just as bad for you as any instant hot coffe. Not better, nore worse.

    And I know frappe, I am Greek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. poor anonymous, you are obviously missing the element of sarcasm in your understanding of english humour...

    ReplyDelete