Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 11 September 2007

Eggplant cheese bake (Μελιτζάνα Παρμεζάνα)


We have an influx of eggplants in our garden every summer. I can make as much yemista, moussaka and papoutsakia as I want. In fact, that's all I seem to be making with aubergine. Even the dog gets her fair share of aubergines every year. I am tired of cooking the same dishes, so I thought I'd try something new. Here is something that is quite vegetarian, and uses them up.

I found a recipe for eggplant parmesan at gourmet sleuth, which makes a great summer flavoured dish. Instead of the cheeses suggested in the recipe, I used local Haniotika varieties: instead of mozzarella, I used mizithra, and for parmiggiano I used regato cheese (which isn't local, but it is much cheaper than parmesan). The result was an eggplant boureki, but it was still quite tasty, although I found it a little heavy because of the fried eggplant. It's much lighter when you don't fry the eggplant, and it would probably work just as well. I also made a tomato sauce with some chopped onion and garlic for a more Mediterranean taste to it. The note at the bottom of the recipe page tells you how to prepare this dish in advance. This means you could easily put it in the freezer too, which I duly did!

©
All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

MORE AUBERGINE/EGGPLANT RECIPES:

Papoutsakia
Moussaka
Pastitsio
Spaghetti bolognaise
Yemista in the oven.
Yemista in the pot
Melitzanosalata
Eggplant pickle

No comments:

Post a Comment