Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Saturday 14 March 2009

10 things you'd never guess about me (10 πράγματα για μένα)

Rachel loves to come and visit my blog just to see my garden. She knows what a mixed blessing having a garden is: hard work to create appropriate microclimates, more hard work to maintain it, and just as much effort to save the excess produce for less bountiful times. For all my regular readers, you will know that my family's garden is an indispensable part of our daily life, as it is for most of our neighbours, given the rural setting we dwell in.

Rachel's recent focus on home gardens has inspired me to reveal a few things about myself that will put a lot of the things I write about in my posts in perspective.
  1. My husband is an avid gardener, orchardist and hunter. If I were in charge of running the garden, I'd have planted flowers (like I did when I was living alone). Of course, I respect his efforts and put everything he plants and grows into full use. But the fact remains: he does all the heavy-duty work. I am merely his whinging assistant.
  2. When I'm at work, I'm known as "the English professor". You will probably have guessed (correctly) that I don't like to make a great deal of fuss over such a daunting title, but the fact still remains, I teach in an academic environment.
  3. For 20 hours a week (of which 3 are spent teaching, while the rest are spent proof-reading, translating, marking student work and preparing class work), I am remunerated (with 17 years of teaching experience in Greece behind me, not including 3 years of teaching similar students in New Zealand) with the princely sum of 653 euros (nett, inclusive of family benefits as a mother of two young children - I told you Greek salaries are very low), despite the fact that ...
  4. ... I'm one of a very small number of highly qualified English teachers in the whole of Hania, even though there are about 70 private English language schools operating in the area. I'm extremely good at my job, something that gives me great confidence, a most enviable quality in the present unstable economic climate. This is not taken into account in the salary I am paid, but I've never tried using this asset to my advantage.
  5. The tips of my fingers and the outer rims of my fingernails are usually a shade of brown, in contrast to my pale olive skin. This is usually from digging up weeds in the garden, harvesting crops, cleaning greens meticulously, and chopping greens to make green pies. No matter how much you scrub, the stains will remain unless you wear gloves, and I can't stand the feel of plastic on my hands. It may sound unseemly to be unmanicured given my academic background, but I remember my academic years in New Zealand in similar vein - some of my professors wore flip flops when they came to lecture us on topics ranging from the morphology of the English language to syntax and semantics (and some of them did not have smooth heels). One came barefoot in the summer, and wore flip flops in the winter. (The only time I can keep my fingers clean are in the summer when they spend a lot of time in seawater; in the winter, I need to be bedridden.)
  6. My children's clothes are mainly second-hand. They have been given to us by extended family members who like to buy their children new clothes in the latest fashion every season. The average number of previous wearers of my children's clothes is 2 (before they start wearing them).
  7. I hoard jars. If I didn't hoard jars, I wouldn't be able to make my six-month supply's worth of tomato sauce, preserved olives, jams and fruit preserves. Like Rachel mentioned, if I find that, on opening a preserve, mold has formed on the top, I simply scrape it off. The rest of the preserve is used. If I didn't bother to take the time to preserve/freeze/use whatever we grow,..
  8. ... we would be spending another 50 euro extra a week on food shopping. Green 'smashed' olives in brine cost at least 5-6 euro a kilo (that will last a week in this house), stamangathi wild greens also cost 5-6 euro a kilo (we have substituted this with our own brocoli and cauliflower this year), and I have already used half the jars of preserved tomato that I made in the summer (that works out to about about 2 euro a week on tinned tomatoes). This doesn't include the frozen meals I prepare for when I'm too busy to cook a meal for the next day: I simply throw a tin of boureki, or moussaka, or pastitsio, or papoutsakia, or dolmadakia, or spinach pie from the freezer into the oven, let it cook, and try my best to remember to turn off the oven before I go to bed. This would add at least another 5 euro a week to my savings. (Because I save so much money on grocery bills, I never skimp on books and DVDs from Amazon; I feel I deserve it.)
  9. I do not recycle tetrapaks, plastic bottles and other recyclable household refuse, because my local council has not endeavoured to provide a recycling bin in my neighbourhood (even though there are such bins available in similar neighbourhoods. I feel I am justified in putting the blame on them. I do not feel that it is my duty to fill the car with recyclable trash (risking milk carton spills, tuna can smells, etc) to cart them off to another bin elsewhere. Most people in Hania are able to walk from their home to a nearby collection point to chuck out their recyclable trash. I do not feel obliged to drive my garbage to a bin; it defeats the purpose of a cleaner environment. I do recycle paper (I never buy my kids drawing pads), and I never, ever throw out my kids' unwanted toys or (second-hand) clothes: I take them to a church collection point or give them away. My cleaning lady (I couldn't write if I didn't have one of those coming in every two weeks) told me how grateful she was for the two huge bags I gave her which she took with her to Moldova when she recently visited her family.
  10. I never wear make-up.
Now that you know me a little better, you won't be too disappointed when I tell you that I have decided to take a break from blogging, after nearly 650 posts (320 on Organically Cooked, and 325 on One Day in Hania). From time to time, I'll be doing surprise updates on the blog, just to keep you on your toes. I'm tired, and I want to work on something different. I also want to do more reading (and writing; the blogs won't stop!) Feel free to keep in touch: mverivaki at hotmail com. To all my Greek readers, have a good Sarakosti.

Archives:

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

27 comments:

  1. Thank you for your little bio. I understand completely your wanting to stop blogging for a while. It is very time consuming. I am going to miss you though. I will look for recipes still. You have such a large collection of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Maria, I am sad that you are taking a break. I will miss you and all of your wonderful stories and recipes. Hope you enjoy a well deserved rest. Thank you for all that you have shared and taught me. Best wishes to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll be updating on a less frequent basis - hopefully something more spontaneous rather than scheduled as i've been doing for so long

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, what am I going to do.....I refer to your blog often. Shall I take you off my followers list or watch you sink to the last position, which saddens me....
    duh, sorry, working nights at the moment and can't make any decisions during the day apart from...uh..making coffee...
    Hope you come back soon, I enjoyed having a blogging friend in Hania.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting read Maria. Good to hear that you will be taking a break and recharging those batteries for your next venture. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, thanks for sharing so much information about you and I am saddened to see you'll be taking a break from blogging, but I am sure will be good for you to rejuvinate. I still look forward to your updates. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so interesting to learn all that about you! I didn't realise you were an English teacher, too. At the university? I was thinking about you as I sit here doing a translation on "Daily and seasonal actual evapotranspiration in Open Top Chambers (OTC): multi-annual validation on soybean in contrasted conditions of water stress and air ozone concentration" You said you were doing agricultural stuff too, right? Really fascinating...LOL! I hope you will continue to write sometimes, I enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing more glimpses into your home life. I've enjoyed your posts tremendously and will always look forward to any new ones that come along. I fully understand your desire to pause from scheduled blogging - I sometimes find myself in a state of anxiety because I haven't posted in 7 days before I realize that it's perfectly alright if I simply have nothing to say.

    I'm grateful that you have a rich archive of posts that I can read through. I'll keep following your blog so that I'll know when you pop in to offer a new recipe or insight to life in Hania!

    Take care and hope to 'read' you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We shall keep in touch Maria. Wish you heartly all the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, I hope you do still blog on a regular basis. I know you have other matters to tend to but I do enjoy the window on Cretan life that you provide.

    Other way, we shall keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeia sou Maria. I'm a greek living in london for 8 years now and in the past two years I've been visiting your blog almost daily for a taste of home, reading your stories and recipes with great interest... You have made me chuckle, and laugh and cry, I feel like I know your family and can almost taste your delicious cooking. I'm sure that a break will be a welcome change for you but I'll definitely miss you! I'm almost crying now writing this! Kali proodo sta paidakia sou!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being relatively new to the blog world, I am sad to hear that I will no longer have the pleasure of reading your daily writings from Crete! And of course it was great to learn some real facts about the woman behind the writing. Enjoy your non-blogging free time and I will still keep my fingers crossed to read some more about Hania soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having just come back from taking four months completely off from blogging, I totally understand. I'll look forward eagerly to your posts when you do write them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really nice to know more about you, Maria. What a well deserved break! However, be sure I'll be coming back for recipes and stories - I still have so many to finish reading!
    Regarding the stains; have you tried rubbing your fingers with some lemon juice (or soaking them in it)? I'm having same problems myself every time I work in my parents' garden, not to mention when peeling and chopping certain veggies, and I find lemon juice very efficient. I dislike the feeling of plastic gloves as well, so sometimes I'd use those made of cotton that can be even washed in the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading your blog is the last thing I do almost every night before going to bed. I'm going to miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the advice maya - i'm gald i'm not the only one with dirty fingers

    i find that my fingers clean really well after squeezing countless lemons, usually for the use of a particular meal, eg when smashing green olives, cleaning broad beans and artichokes, in greek cooking, these are paired with lemon, so they help me to clean my fingers. aubergines are a nightmare - they don't usually involve lemon (usually tomato in our house), so thank goodness for the summer sea to help me rid myself of the stains

    don't worry katerina and laurene - i will continue to blog, but i think it'll take a different avenue, which i hope you will continue to enjoy. it's for people like yourselves that i write for

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you are a very good English teacher because you write so well!! :) Will check up once in a while! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. While I will miss your frequent blog posts (and these armchair travels to your beautiful and interesting island) I can understand your need to focus on other things, like reading! Best of luck Maria and I look forward to your infrequent updates.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your collection of posts is a treasure that I keep coming back to. For a recipe, or for a glimpse into daily life in Crete. Your post have kept me connected to a world I used to know (and learned a bit better from your writings)and love. Thank you for all this. Best wishes girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I DON'T BELIEVE THIS! YOU ARE LEAVING US? :-(

    Anyway, I do hope that whatever you will be doing will be as successful as your blog. We'll probably meet up in three weeks time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a wonderful break Maria! You've worked so hard and written so much that even if you don't have a new post for a while there's plenty to read and refer to. I'm so glad to be your blogging buddy!
    BTW...my hands are almost never manicured, I find it pointless when I do so much cooking and hand washing. My kids wear second hand clothes, it's a smart way to live. There's so much waste in this world.
    Thanks for sharing a little more of yourself with us. You're fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't blame you for taking a break. I have this blog in my feed reader though so will still see when you update it. Thank you for still commenting over on my blog :)

    Enjoy your rest, and I look forward to seeing the new direction of the blog!

    By the way I really liked the look of that Great Lent bread.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maria,
    I will definitely keep in touch!! Will miss you but definitely understand when it's time for a break. Great that you are following your instincts! I don't doubt anything you say, and simple love your confidence. I bet you are a favorite teacher. Love & hugs, Meg XO

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is lots I don't know about you but like you, I don't have my nails manicured. Not even once

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maria,
    All the best to you and your family. I will now go back and visit your extensive archive. Taking a breather from blogging is something that becomes necessary, from time to time. Thank you for bringing all these wonderful recepies to us. So long -- but not for long, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's so nice to find out more about you. I have never tried to post every day, I knew it just wouldn't be feasable. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete