Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Sunday 15 March 2009

Sunday roast (Ψητό στο φούρνο)

My uncles live in a village close to my home. A little while ago, they invited us (that's a lie: I invited myself) to have traditional Greek Sunday roast with them.

wood fired stove cum oven

Here's how they heat themselves in the winter: a wood fire range which doubles up as a stove and oven. The top left compartment is where all the wood goes, which is then lit with a piece of newspaper or other natural fire lighter (eg twigs). To disperse the wood evenly so that the fire doesn't go out, you can lift the top element with a special rod and stoke it from there.

You can see the logs on the left hand side in a cardboard box. The wood comes from the prunings of their olive and orange trees.

wood fired stove cum oven
This photograph has notes on it - click to enlarge it and see the notes.

The lower left drawer is where the ash collects, which needs to be emptied regularly when the range is in use. The top element is used to boil garden vegetables, make bean soups, cook stews, among other functions. This element is always very hot when the oven is in use, while the smaller one next to it is simply warm, which is why they often keep a pot of water on it to use for cleaning the dishes. The right hand side is the oven. A baking tin can be placed here. It's very useful for keeping food warm. It can also cook a roast, but it will take longer than a conventional oven.

The only disadvantage with this oven is that every single part of it is scalding hot, so it's not child-friendly. These ranges are slowly going out of fashion because of the way new houses are being built and the demand for convenience rather than tradition. They need to be cleaned out in a similar way to fireplaces, so you have to put up with a lot of smut, ash and soot.

Here's what my uncles cooked for us on the day we visited (but not in the wood fire - they preferred to use their gas oven that day): roast lamb and potatoes with tomato and olive oil. Every single ingredient was cultivated or collected by them on their land.

roast at galatas hania chania

Of all their nephews and nieces, I am the only one living in Crete, while the others are dispersed among Athens, London and Wellington. This makes me a little special around them. They have also taught me many kitchen tricks which I've shared with you in my recipes.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

16 comments:

  1. My grandparents had exactly the same set up at their place...you brought back so many memories with this post! And who can resist a traditional Greek lamb roast?!! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so cool Maria! I have never seen a stove like that before. The closest I think is an AGA a friend of mine had in her house in Ireland. And the roast must have been delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly authentic meal. Nothing so good as food shared with those we love:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine still cooks this way with an Elmira cook stove. To me it would mean a lot of work but they LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this way of cooking just doesn't work in a modern home. my husband would like to build a fireplace in our house, but i have vetoed the idea: just imagine trying to clear sooty marks, not to mention the children treating it like a toy (stoking the fire, throwing paper into it to see it burn, etc). i know i love it, but it is simply not for us

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering at the sight of my favorite part of the lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandparents in Arcadis also had a stove like this,a "soba"; there was always a pot of water on top of it to humidify the room and also to make tea... I loved to see my grandma open the little door and feed the fire, it was such a hot and fierce and charming object!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible dish! Being so completely immersed in food from groceries, I can only imagine the flavors of food sourced so freshly from one's own home. The stove is a marvelous piece of work but I must admit that I couldn't give up my modern gas stove. I've heard of AGA stoves working on the same premise (constantly heated) but they cost thousands! - imagine that, compared to your uncles'! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria, that "tapsi" of roasted lamb and potatoes is to die for...fabulously simple and no doubt delicious.

    That wood-burning stove would be wonderful for some baked potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the look of that range. My grandad had something similar, but it burnt coal not wood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The roasted flavors of meat must be so good,I'm sure you devoured every bite of this traditional lamb roast:).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that oven looks too familiar! The lamb with potatoe looks sooo inviting! I'd love to have some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely range cooker! I still cook on something similar:

    http://www.aga-web.co.uk/92_243.htm

    My husband's grandfather had a business selling them, and my husband's grandmother always had a solid fuel one that had to be stoked every day with wood on the left hand side. It is boiling hot all the time, and I cannot turn it up or down, only move the food from the hottest part to the coolest part. The top functions as a hob, just like your uncles'. People sit on it in winter (with the tops down over the hob the heat is tolerable), lean against it, dry clothes over it, prove bread and make yoghurt on it, dry shoes inside it. It is the heart of our home, and food cooked in it is unlike all other food. It is still the most covetable cooker in England and mine will outlive me by many years. I suppose it's just a fire in a metal box, and people have been sitting round and cooking on fires since time began. Simple pleasures, and great food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That stove looks like an old fashioned British Aga type cooker. That lamb and roasted potatoes looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, how am I missing these posts? Hmmm. Well, I'm certainly glad I found them. This lamb and potatoes dish is wonderful! I bet your uncles really enjoy your visits. There is another blog that I follow about a family that is keeping old traditions alive, including living on her grandparents old homestead. She heats and cooks on a cast iron stove.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maria, I just 'found' this part of your blogging empire. I love reading about your adventures with Cretan food. Here on Saaremaa I am a member of the local organic farmers union (Saare Mahe). For the past 2 summers I have cooked part-time in our organic restaurant: Mahe Köök (means organic kitchen) We have a stove exactly like the one in this post and I love cooking on it. The food takes on another level of flavour, it seems.

    ReplyDelete