Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Fruit and vegetable marble cake (Kέϊκ υγειας)

Remember those multi-coloured cakes that looked pretty but tasted bland? Here's a marble cake that will be remembered not just for its appearance, but also for its taste. It's based on my 2009 version of my improved chocolate-zucchini cake.


marble cake

In a large bowl, mix together 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 vial vanilla powder, 2/3 cup olive oil , 1 ripe banana mashed and the juice of 1 medium orange.

Pour out half the mixture into another bowl. To the second bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee powder, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 cup of grated strained zucchini. Mix well.

marble cake

Add 1-1/2 cups plain flour to each mixture, enough to make a thick batter in each bowl, the consistency of sludgy mud. Pour spoonfuls into a prepared baking tin or a bundt (I grease mine with margarine), and cook till done.

You can also be more adventurous with the colours by dividing the initial batter into three equal parts, and adding some grenadine to one of the bowls to colour it pink. Whether you make it bi- or tri-coloured, you can't find a more healthy cake than this one.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

6 comments:

  1. This has to be good for you with a healthy addition of zucchini:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...mmm different and delicious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't tried a zucchini cake. I am very curious about how it tastes.

    Btw, I was trying find one of the posts you posted in July about tripe. I skimmed through it briefly after getting back from my vacation, thinking I'd go back to it at a later time, but I haven't been able to find it. I didn't see a category for tripe. Maybe it's under a different category?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really delicious and moist! I'm a fan of adding fruits and veg to cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am actually salivating right now. This is very tasty cake you have here. You have actually managed to make it quite healthy without sacrificing the taste, which is really difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good! I love making zucchini bread, which is a sweet quick bread, but this cake sounds great with chocolate and banana and the other flavors!

    ReplyDelete