Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Sunday 5 April 2009

Braised octopus with pasta (Χταπόδι με κοφτό μακαρόνι)

Here's PART 2 of our adventures in Athens.

The little laughing olive tree

went into mourning recently.
"We're fasting from most meat products,
until the forty days have passed."

(When loved ones die, tradition states
that one must fast for forty days.)

the little laughing olive tree lives here

So when I saw her up in Athens
I wondered what she'd find to feed us.
As I opened up the fridge
a great big octopussy grinned

octopussy

right back at me from in its bowl.
"Is it alive?" I began to howl.
"Oh no," assuringly she said.
"Believe me, it's as good as dead."

"What are you going to do with it?"
"It's on the lunch menu," she said.
"And how do you intend to cook it?"
"According to the book with favorite

mercina viatos greek nz community cookbook

Greek food from Kiwi homes down under;
Just look in here: I think you've got one."
She passed me the book with the recipes
collected by the NZ Greek community.

braised octopus in pasta

And then she cooked the octopus
with some tomato and pasta tubes.
"What will your children eat?" she asked
"Just say the octo's sausages

and that this kind of macaroni
is coming soon to shops in Kriti."
We all partook of this great dish;
Kalofagas cooks just like this.

braised octopus in pasta

(P.S.: My kids begrudgingly ate the fishy pasta, but weren't convinced about the 'sausages'.)

For more Athenian adventures, check out PART 1; PART 3 is coming up.


©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

14 comments:

  1. Oh! This looks delicious.

    The octopus is indeed a very resilient animal...this is why it is treated "on the rocks" before doing anything with it :-D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWlLQYsBrE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCAIedFgdY0
    (And they are also very smart)

    I wonder if there are similar food preparations (besides killing the animal) for little New Zealand delicacies.

    Hey! Ούζο Metaxa (!) now, that's rare :-D

    (Συλλυπητήρια)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, looks delicious and it's complete with a full bodied red wine...go on..give the kids a little wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty and very well disguised Maria!...I like this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could find octopus around here. The only place I have had any success is the local sushi restaurant but well they tend to hoard their good stuff. I guess it has something to do with them trying to run a restaurant not a fish market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favourite meals, ever! We just had it a week ago, and I can't wait until the supermarket will have it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember seeing this over at Kalofagas..or at least something similar. Enjoy:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a classic! I was given some octopus a friend of mine caught outside Leros and this is probably mu favourite way of cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is funny! And it gives me courage to cook the squid I have in the freezer (for some time now).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love octopus cooked this way ... sounds like you were treated to a wonderful meal in Athens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. exotic octopus,I'm a very picky about sea food ,just like fish and shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I'll certainly accept a big portion of this! I don't think I've had octopus; is it anything like squid (which I love)? I've never even seen it for sale around here. I'm trying to picture in my mind just how big these are ... hand sized or more like Captain Nemo? Either way ... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love octopus but rely on others (restaurants) to make it. 8-)

    I've never seen such a preparation - it looks so marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To agapimeno fagito tis koris mou!!!! bravo...oti prepei gia tin epomeni vdomada !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think my trips to Greece are the only time I have eaten octopus, I love it, but would never be able to find it in my land locked state of Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete