Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Sunday 12 April 2009

Palm Sunday (Κυριακή των Βαΐων)

It's Palm Sunday today and the traditional Greek menu for the day is as follows:

bakaliaros

- bakaliaros (fried salt cod)
- skordalia (garlic dip)
- batsarosalata (boiled beetroot salad)

The Holy Week starts tomorrow, culminating in Easter Sunday. It's a week when most Greeks will usually try not to eat any meat, fish, eggs, cheese or milk. Fasting is supposed to be a time when you concentrate less on the specifics of what you eat, and more on the spiritual aspect of the act of fasting. I personally find it very hard not to think hard about what I eat when I am restricted, especially when staples like milk and cheese come out of my daily dieat; my vegan cooking is always more elaborate than my non-lenten cooking.

Happy fasting for those who are entering the Holy Week, and Happy Easter to everyone celebrating it today.

6 comments:

  1. Good thoughts and good actions for Holy Week. I remember fasting when I lived in Xania. That first lamb after a week of no fat always tested soooooo good. It was hard, but worth it.

    Just one more time, I would love to be on Crete during Holy Week - to experience again that horrific moment on Friday afternoon when all sound stops, even the dogs stop barking and the earth holds its breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Maria to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best for the coming week Maria...hope you enjoyed your seafood today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a nice Holy week Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love me some Bakaliaro right now...the beet salad looks yum too! Kali Anastasi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you the best during the Holy Week and a Happy Easter. The idea of fasting has really fallen off, at least from my personal observation here in the US. At most, we (try to) abstain from eating meat on Fridays but that seems to be all. Back in the Philippines, people are much more adherent. It's not surprising given that the focus of Easter in America seems less on the religious event but more on the secular holiday. I should criticize - I'm not exactly the picture of piety.

    ReplyDelete