Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 19 February 2009

Partridge (Πέρδικα)

Many moons ago, I came across PETA. This organisation claims that "Each (British) meat, egg and dairy consumer can claim responsibility for the abuse and deaths of 1000 animals. Each British meat, egg and dairy consumer also consumes antibiotics, saturated fat and cholestoerol, shit and filth, torture and misery, with each mouthful." I found this very blasphemous and untrue, so I wrote an email to PETA (on 27 October 2007 to be precise):

Dear PETA,
All the meat I eat with my family is reared in domestic environments (ie small family-run farms, or one-shepherd businesses), so that the cruelty that you depict in your FREE VEG STARTER KIT could not possibly be taking place; only the salughtering is 'cruel' simply because slaughtering is cruel in any way that it takes place. What do you think of people raising a few chickens in their back yard and using the eggs in their daily diet and the meat on a less frequent basis? Sounds to me that they're doing what people have been doing for many centuries since prehistoric (hu)man became less nomadic (ie feeding themselves sustaibably).
Here is the reply I got:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with PETA.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond. While PETA is willing to applaud any steps that farmers and ranchers take to improve the welfare of the animals for whom they are responsible, we also know that there is no truly humane way to "harvest" food from animals. The sheer number of animals required to feed (America's) current meat habit, for example, make individual attention to their wants and needs impossible. For us to promote the purchase of
any kind of meat would imply that we endorse the use of animals for food 'production', instead of recognizing that animals deserve consideration of their own best interests - regardless of whether they are useful to humans. Like us, animals are capable of suffering and have interests in leading their own lives (?@#^&$^!@ - I added this); therefore, they are not ours to use for food, clothing, entertainment, or for any other reason...

Ultimately, there is the simple moral principle that we do not have the right to manipulate and kill animals for our own purposes. Animals do not belong to us, and their lives are just as precious to them as yours is to you or me. A society that eats animals will always view them as possessions, products, and commodities, as opposed to individuals with feelings, families, and friendships. And as long as people view animals as objects, widespread institutionalised abuse is destined to continue.

The best thing anyone can do to help animals is to not eat them. We have so many choices as consumers today that there's simply no reason to continue to rasie and slaughter animals for food. I hope this helps explain our 'radical' position - to compromise it would be a betrayal of both the animals and our members. Thanks again for writing and for your concern for animals.

What I do know is that rabbits kill their young and chickens clumsily break their eggs - is this how animals keep their numbers in check??? What do cows do if they never get milked? Advertise as nurses for orphaned calves? Just wondering...

Strictly vegan eaters have serious problems keeping their hair on their head (poysanal comoonicayshin), as well as having it discolour and lose its shine. Is it possible to be strictly vegan from birth (apart from mother's milk)??? I'm completely and utterly doubtful. Try reconciling this with the fact that no traditional society is strictly vegan. 'Nuff said.

*** *** ***
My typical understanding of a partridge was the familiar one, that they all appeared in pear trees at Christmas. Little did I know that one day, I would end up cooking partridges that my husband had hunted on the very island we live.

partridge kapama

In Crete, hunting in the wild (as opposed to organised game parks) involves hare and various species of migrating and resident birds. The earlier you hunt, the more you are likely to catch. At this point in the winter, most birds will have settled in warmer areas, and won't be passing through Crete so readily as it is quite cold and wet. Each season is very short so hunters have to be on the ready when it starts. This year, my husband, an avid hunter, caught three partridges during our mini-break in Paleohora. After removing the feathers and innards, they were placed in the freezer, where we almost forgot about them, until now when I was doing a fridge clearance.

In its unfeathered form, partridge looks like a miniature sized chicken. It also tastes like chicken, but has a very different smell, something like a woody forest. The breast meat is very tender compared to the wings which are full of tendons. The three partridges, halved and quartered, were cooked in a kapama sauce with green olives, served with fried potatoes and a garden fresh cabbage salad. They can also be cooked with orzo rice, similar to Maria's oven-baked kritharaki, or made into a tomato-based pilafi.

Cooking these partridges gave me the opportunity to cook, as Michael Pollan stated, "the perfect meal", where he challenges himself to cook something that he himself had hunted, gathered and/or grown. In this spirit, I can claim that everything (except the salt and pepper - naughty me, I could have used local sea salt given to me by a friend, and locally grown herbs) in the recipe was seasonally and locally hunted, and gathered or grown by my family, representing both the animal and vegetable (but not the fungus (kingdoms), costing me only the gas I used to cook it with, eaten by my family, and cooked by my very self. Perfect. And delicious.

Happy Tsiknopempti to everyone who celebrates it!

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

17 comments:

  1. Loved the PETA exchange. Good for you for voicing your opinion! Love your partridges. How interesting that the wings were so tendonous (is that a word?). That sauce looks soooooo good. I'd like a serving of this please! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting take on kapama (the green olives I mean). I do like perdika, though to me, they taste richer than chicken. Either way they're tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your perspective on meat eating, and the view of organisations like PETA bother me so much. Animals simply do not have the level of consciousness that we do! As you pointed out, they also do not have the supposed "moral code" that PETA thinks we ought to have (and thinks is necessarily moral).

    What bothers me most of all from their letter is the sentence "we have so many choices as consumers today". What does this mean? I don't need to eat meat because I can eat soy products shipped from halfway across the world? I don't need to buy a wool coat because a factory can make some glorified plastic that's just as warm? How is this better? The only choices that we have today that completely free us from our dependency on using animals are the choices that we have because now we can ship anything anywhere and approximate/match the function of anything with factory-made means. In other words, completely unsustainable practices that are killing our planet, and the very ecosystems that we really ought to be concerned about preserving.

    Pardon the rant... I got *so* angry at reading that PETA letter!

    On another note, your perdika look delicious, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And in all that ranting, I almost forgot: Kalh tsiknopempth!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had partridge but this looks absolutely delicious!

    I am not a fan of PETA - while I understand the basic principles for which they stand, they're methods and strategies make no sense and are needlessly alienating and aggressive. The fact of the matter is that animals eat other animals; they even, as you noted, eat their own. Industrialized food production today is indeed a horror that must be addressed but to lump in conscientious farmers and producers with them is outrageous and narrow-minded. Eating animal protein is a necessary part of sound nutrition and the use of other parts of the creature stems from an admirable history of fully appreciating and not wasting any portion of a once-living creature. Yes, our consumer culture has turned most of that on its head by emphasizing heedless luxury but the answer is not a zero-sum game of condemning any and all kinds of animal consumption. I could go on but my blood pressure is rising! Perhaps I should take the cue from you and send this to PETA myself . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've never tried perdika. This looks amazing ... the kapama sounds divine; the green olives must provide for a distinct and flavorful addition to this lovely sauce. Truly a simple, yet decadent meal to enjoy with your family.

    Happy Tsiknopempti! Kai tou hronou!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Kapama with green olives...red & green and partridge. So good even PETA members might reconsider their bland dining existence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an animal lover, but I also think we humans need to eat meat, too, for our own health. Animals certainly eat each other!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PETA and their ilk are nothing better than criminals and grave robbers:

    http://www.activistcash.com/news_detail.cfm?hid=2678

    ReplyDelete
  10. Μαρία, πέρδιακα μου εσύ! Θα έρθω μια μέρα Κρήτη γι' αυτό το πιάτο!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting exchange with PETA. I admire you for letting them know what you think.
    The partridges look so delicious in that sauce! I don't think I have ever eaten partridge meat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is what I admire most about you, Maria -- standing up for what you believe in & speaking your mind. PETA has set itself up as judge & jury for the rest of us stupid humans without any logic or consideration of history. It's up to us to speak truth to such tyranny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Freedom of choice- if you want to eat something then eat it! I don't eat meat but it is none of my business if someone else does. I fully advocate hunting and eating what you have killed. PETA are crazy.
    The partridge pic had me salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I share my thoughts with you and my fellow commentators. I applaud to your letter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'd like to thank everyone for supporting me in my opinion about eating meat, which my family doesn't even do very often in any case. living in crete, you can not avoid eating meat. and we mustnt forget that the greek orthodox church advocates a vegan diet for approximately half the year for healthy people (ie pregnant women, the ill, the frail, the very young excluded), so it's not as though we gorge ourselves on the stuff. for instance, i wont be eating partrdige until next year!
    above all, no one should make us feel stupid while they, in their fury to persuade others to follow their opinion, try to sound sensible

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you Maria,we should respect each other opinions.Moderation is key for us when eating meat.
    The dish looks delicious in the sauce with olives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love animals more than most people. But PETA is out of control and yes, radical.

    ReplyDelete