Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 3 February 2009

Everything is possible (Τα πάντα γίνονται)

If you ask a child what s/he would like to eat as a birthday meal, what do you think most would answer? Mine had a hard time thinking about it, possibly because he's not really a much of a gourmet. He doesn't give a toss about what he eats as long as it's not green on the outside; for example, he doesn't do peas, but he's happy to munch on spinach pie. So when he saw me making fennel pies, he decided he'd have some of that.

birthday meal

The one thing he knew he definitely wanted was lentil soup. He could have that every day of the week. He even had it on Easter Day once when he was very little, because at that time, he didn't like chewing on meat. His sister is much more refined in her choices; she like Ratatouille Remy's soup, which I often make (aka leek and potato potage). Luckily, there was some left over from a previous meal.

When children are used to eating home-made food, they come to think of their everyday meals as festive meals. So I needn't have bothered adding the french fries to the menu (cooked in olive oil, naturally), but I was tempted because I (and only I) felt that the meal didn't look festive enough, probably because it didn't contain pizza, pasta and hamburgers...

Never mind. We enjoyed it all, including my famous squidgy chocolate cake. Yum-yum.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

14 comments:

  1. Wow! Your kids like their veggies!!! Happy Birthday to your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look on your son's face says it all - he's loving those lentils! Its wonderful that your children consider every meal a festive one. It's clear from your blog that you prepare an incredible variety of different dishes so that they don't feel as if their daily meals are routine. I would gladly forgo pizza, pasta and burgers for any of the pites you recently posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your little son. Is he 7 or 8??

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nutritious birthday meal.Happy birthday to the handsome little one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to you son! Lentil soup? What's not to love?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Na ton xeraise! Ekatohronos!

    I'm very proud to say my kids eat as well as yours! They eat anything and everything homemade and always have--from mere infants. I can't understand some parents who don't even try to teach children from the get-go how to eat probably (and believe me, I have one too many a friend, whom although I love dearly, have not taught their children good eating practices).
    In fact, my daughter (4) and my son (2) just finished up their kotopoulo me araka, patates kai karota as we speak. Cleaned their plates, and then had a yogurt for dessert! Ftou, ftou ... to yours and mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, maria, it makes me proud too - the truth is that it is very hard to make children eat what you cook for health reasons, but at least my son knows why he can't have ham and sausages every day of the week (he's the fussiest eater in my family).

    at the same time, i am constantly telling my kids that just because other children at school bring packets of potato chips for morning break doesn't mean it is a good thing, and they really are understanding me - their teachers also support good eating habits, and i really like the way they put me on a par with their teacher (or the other way around), as if they are hearing the same thing from people they love and who are trying to protect them
    (it all makes an important issue of food after all, doesn't it)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Xronia polla!!! They are both sweet! I am sure they make you happy and proud! Take care of them kids ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Να τον χαίρεσαι Μαρία μου... και να είναι πάντα χαρούμενος, δημιουργικός και υγιής.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria,
    Your children are really lucky (and cute!). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to add that it is never too late to introduce healthy food. My kids were 8 & 12 when I did. It was difficult, but I was determined. They whined for a long time. Today, 11 years later they are grown and I can say that they LOVE healthy food. Every meal they eat at my house is festive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The boy has good taste...Fakkes are a healthy and delish soupa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your little boy! Hope he had a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Maria, can I have some, too?? Those French fries look like the French fries I LOVE - fried just enough to absorb the olive oil aroma without getting soggy !! Χρόνια Πολλά στον νεαρό με τις yummy φακές και του χρόνου με Υγεία !!! (the cake looks delicious, too, and I'm sure tastes the same).

    ReplyDelete