Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Monday 26 May 2008

Carrot love cake (Kέικ καρότου με αγάπη)

I recently asked a fellow blogger to pass on her favorite recipe for carrot cake. When I made this cake, I couldn't help notice how beautiful the raw ingredients looked before I mixed them into batter. I fell in love with the colours. I'm sure you'll agree with me. And if you think how healthy it is - oil instead of margarine or butter, brown instead of white sugar and flour, carrots instead of chocolate - you have actually put a lot of love into it, especially when you make it for people you love very much. So here it is: carrot love cake, by aforkfulofspaghetti.

You need:
6 oz carrots
2 eggs
4 oz raw brown sugar
3 fl. oz vegetable oil
4 oz wholemeal flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 oz dessicated coconut
2 oz raisins (optional; don't include them if you have fussy eaters in your household)

1. Grease and line an 7 inch square cake tin. Heat oven to gas mark 5.
2. Finely grate the carrots.
3. Whisk eggs and sugar in bowl (over a large bowl of hot water) until thick and creamy.
4. Whisk in the oil slowly, and then add the remaining ingredients. Mix to combine evenly.
5. Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the surface, and bake for 20-25 mins.
6. Cool on a wire rack.

This cake is usually iced with cream cheese (and maybe some orange juice and/or zest mixed in). Definitely not a Greek combination, savoury cheese with cake. We just ate it as it was.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

8 comments:

  1. Carrot cake is one of faves and a good call on using Forkful's recipe...I follow her too...just wish the kitchen is finished soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot cake is one of my favourite desserts for years now:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrots and coconuts - what a lovely combination for a cake. I doubt if I'd use the raisins, for exactly the reason you mention, but a few walnuts might sneak their way in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks wonderful!! But I also would not use the raisins...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't include the raisins because I'm the fussy eater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads-up! Glad you enjoyed it - even without the cream cheese topping. It's such a wonderfully moist and tasty version that it really doesn't need it, wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought of adding desiccated coconut but it must be lovely. I'll definitely try this next time I make a carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find this tastes very good, and doubling the recipe is no problem. It came out moist and flavorful - went heavy on the cinnamon, and added cloves and allspice. I have omitted the coconut but added some flax powder for added fiber and stronger consistency.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete