Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Wednesday 7 May 2008

Bay leaves (Δάφνη)

Today's post is more to show off than anything else. In amongst our orange trees, we have a laurel tree growing, which we've been trying to cut down and get rid of for a while now, but every year, it springs up a branch or two. It grows in the summer, we snap it off the trunk in the autumn, bring it home and keep it in the basement ('a cool dark place') during the winter, and get a year's supply of bay leaves from spring onwards. Our very own bay leaves, combined with our black olives, lemons and olive oil in the background, create a sense of well-being and prosperity.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.


4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog :) I found it a few weeks ago when I was looking for information about spiral pies. I love your food focus, on fresh local food. No better way to eat :)

    I'm not Greek, but I live in a city with a large Greek community. We have a Greek festival every year, lots of authentic Greek food, and I love seeing Greek families carry on their traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot to say: I added you to my list of links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, there are several homes on way to the beach that have bay trees with leaves at my disposal.

    I bring some back each year and I transplanted a small plant in hopes of sprouting our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, like Peter I harvest and dry bay leaves every year in Greece. The difference between these leaves and the too often tasteless ones sold in Alaska stores is pretty dramatic. With your own olives, lemons, and olive oil, your sense of prosperity is well-earned.

    ReplyDelete