Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 27 May 2008

Courgette patties - kolokithokeftedes (Κολοκυθοκεφτέδες)

My husband rushed into the kitchen excitedly: "How dja wannit, honey? Long, short, medium, extra large?"

"I'm only used to one size, darling," I replied, "and I'm quite content with that, thank you."

We picked the first of the crop only last week. But we have an over-abundance of zucchini in the fridge, mainly because my uncles' farm is over-producing. In fact, every day, they gather about 10 courgettes about as long as my (please forgive me) arm, and leave them in a crate under a shady hundred-year-old olive tree. When I visit them, they always ask me if I want to pick some zucchini from the garden.

"We've got courgettes for horta, and you'll find a few to make boureki, too." What they mean is that they are the only two ways that they themselves eat zucchini (they're bachelors and cook only traditional Cretan cuisine). The courgettes for horta are picked before they start getting too big, say about as large as a (please forgive me) carrot, while the ones for boureki are as long as my (you've already forgiven me) arm. Size and length are still taboo subjects for some age-groups and classes in Greece.

"What's wrong with the ones in the crate?" I asked them the last time I visited the farm.

"Oh, I was gonna chop 'em up and give 'em to the chickens," one of them told me. They do that with their excess produce, along with the potato peelings and all their vegetable scraps, as well as all the weeds in the garden.

Courgette patties - kolokithokeftedes - can be made from all sizes (do forgive me) of courgette; if the zucchini gets too (I'm sorry) large, just remove the seeds if they seem tough. They are not something you can whip up in a jiffy: courgettes have such a high water content that you need to get rid of it to make firm patties. Some cooks add tomato, others cheese, yet other eggs; I make mine completely lenten. Cheese and eggs can easily be added to this recipe; the egg helps bind all the ingredients, while cheese makes them more crusty. Tomato pulp needs to be strained before being added to the mixture.

To make 20 medium-sized patties, you need:
1 large courgette (or a few small ones)
1 onion, grated finely (I used green onion tops instead; they exude a lighter aroma)
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (optional; I like the combination of onion and garlic in my food)
a posy's worth of dill, finely chopped (I used fennel, as it's growing like wildfire here; feel free to substitute dill with your favorite herb - a good alternative is mint, parsley, or a combination of these)
1/2 cup of fine breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of flour
salt and pepper

The first step in making courgette patties is to get rid of all excess water in the zucchini. Grate the courgette into a colander and sprinkle salt liberally all over it. Place the colander into another container and allow it to sweat for at about two hours. Fresh zucchini will easily yield a small glass of water. Don't worry if you haven't got enough time to allow the zucchini to sweat it out on its own; in any case, you will help it along by picking up fistfuls of gratings and squeezing them of all excess liquid. To help all the herbs blend in with the zucchini, I usually mix all the gratings along with the herbs (ie, zucchini, onion, garlic, herbs, pepper) and squeeze them dry altogether.

Once you have strained the vegetable mixture well (you will end up with half the original bulk), add the breadcrumbs to the mixture and mix them in well. Then add the flour, mixxing in enough to make a stiff dough. You may need a little more or a little less, depending on how well you strained the zucchini. Shape the mixture into flat patties and dredge them in flour. Drop them into boiling hot oil and let them cook till they turn golden brown in colour, turning them over to cook on the other side. When they are done, place them on absorbent paper to dry.

Courgette patties make a great alternative to meat patties (my I-never-eat-greens son thought he was eating a hamburger when I stuck one of these in a bun) and can be served with a tomato salad, or any bean dish. This is one of the few dishes I make that doesn't freeze well.

This is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by wanderingchopsticks.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

16 comments:

  1. AMAN! I'm making kolokithokeftedes tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maria,
    Wonderful idea! You crack me up! Love reading your blog.Something my husband would have said.Ha! Ha! Ha!
    Love Dimitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the submission. I love zucchini fritters. This reminds me of carrot and zucchini pancakes I used to eat at a cafe in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! HA! You are very very funny! These look great - can't wait until our zucchini comes up to have some(put the starts in the ground yesterday).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this great recipe! Back when I tried to make potato pancakes, I thought zucchini pancakes would be good too. I'm going to give this recipe a try this week, I think. I love zucchini.

    I'm afraid I didn't get to plant any zucchini this year. Next year, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, I love your blog. O andras mou ine Ellinas (I'm Indian), so of course I cook Greek food all the time. Your blog is such an inspiration - I've used your ladenia and anginares a la polita to great success.

    And if I had seen this earlier, that's the treatment my kolokithakia would have got. Instead, I just did an edited version of briami with just tomatoes and kolokithes.

    Look forward to reading many more of your lovely posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might find it useful to read a list of foods that contain more or less pesticide (residues?) from
    http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, you are sooooo funny. I love reading your blog. As a first-time(serious) gardener, I'm learning a lot from your blog. I'll definitely have to try this recipe with my zucchini. I delurked in laughter...thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother used to make something very similar to this and we ate it with some type of sauce, can't quite remember what it was but I do remember I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just back from Kos - after many years visiting Greece never eaten these before - can't wait to try this out as they have beaten deep fried courgette flowers as my husbands favourites -thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im about to try this reciepe but modified to suit my ingredients. Ive just randomly stumbled on your website looking for something different to do with my (please forgive me) zucchini. Being a fellow kiwi whose travelled well and now with a french woman I like to find different things to cook.(gotta try to measure up to the french gastronomy somehow)
    Cracks me up how someone else blogged 'cracks me up'. Im sure thats a real kiwi saying. Anyhow I wish you all the best and thanks.
    Skin.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello fellow kiwi

    these are really yummy - serve them with a hot asian chili sauce and you will like them even more.

    regarding french gastronomy, i think cretan cuisine will always measure on the lower scale becos it always ends up looking like rustic cuisine. the way the plates and cuts are arranged (eg if i used a stencil to make the perfectly round courgette pattie) is worht the effort to make a meal like this one look more 'haute cuisine' (although, it's more 'come and get it' style in my house, as well as a bit of 'dig in')

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maria. These look delectable. Is there a version of these made with feta? I had something like these in Crete but thought they had feta in them. They definitely had mint in them. Had them at a family Sunday lunch near where we were staying in Gerani. Not on the tourist menu.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes cate, you can add cheese (and egg) to the basic mixture and they taste superb - i make them without eggs and cheese mainly to use them as a lenten food during fasting periods

    my sister told me to add cheese to them (feta, mizithra or even hard yellow grated cheese), and i must admit, they have a superior taste to these lenten ones

    ReplyDelete
  15. ..a posy's worth of dill, eh?
    think that brings some childhood song/poem back to my 64 yr old cdn mind...
    great recipe!
    carole shea

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say thanks for posting this recipe. I haven't thought about zucchini pancakes in years. My mother always made these when we had fresh zucchini from the garden when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete