Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 18 October 2013

Soul (Ψυχή)

How do you view your soul?
Is it confined in a space?
Or is it a floating mass that you pull along wherever you move?

A Greek filmmaker, and animation and digital artist based in London, Katerina Athanasopoulou, has been awarded the Lumen Prize, for her film 'Apodemy':
Apodemy is an experimental piece on emigration created by Athanasopoulou for a 2012 group art project at the Akadimia Platonos park, the central Athens site whether the ancient philosopher Plato is believed to have taught... "I thought it fitting to work with Plato’s hypothesis of the human soul as a birdcage, where knowledge is birds flying. I was fascinated by the ornithological term ‘zugunruhe’ which is the turbulent behavior of birds about to migrate, whether free or caged." http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite4_1_15/10/2013_523237
Katerina's describes the film as follows:
A flock of birds circles and moves a cage vehicle, seeking escape from a city half finished and abandoned, with roads interrupted by fragments of fallen statues. Those hands are simultaneously the pursuit of knowledge and also the heroes/leaders of the past that we have rejected but are still haunting us. In a time when Europe seems to be imploding, this is my portrait of Athens. http://www.kineticat.co.uk/Apodemy
We are shaped by our surroundings. Personally, I don't view my soul as caged. It's more like a dispersed cloud around me, that fills with the knowledge gained my surroundings: the trees, their habitat and the beings that make their home there. As I move around within my environment, I pull my soul along, leaving traces of my knowledge. It falls like the seeds of the sower in the parable:
... some fell by the way side, and the birds of the air came and devoured it up. And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth: But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. And some fell among thorns, the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit. And other fell on good ground, did yield fruit that sprang up and increased... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Sower
The lucky parts that fell on good ground are those that, rather than haunting me, give me hope:
- Know your past, 
to plan your future,
in the present. 

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely food for thought. You must know that your readers learn from you, too.
    I haven't given much thought to my soul. I guess that I think of it as something inside of me. At least that's the way the Bible portrays it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i always see myself as moving among other more stationary items in my world, perhaps because I see them as trapped, and not myself - i used the biblical reference to the sower, because i can see it having some relevance in my teaching world

      Delete