Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 1 February 2013

Seizing the day

I didn't feel well this morning: runny nose, sore throat, sore back, all signs of something like a cold starting. So I took the day off, and decided to get back into bed after I took the children to school. 

Winter in Crete: fine, sunny, no wind, and low temperatures (14C).

But the temptation to make something out of the day when everyone else's legs are away from the house is too great. 

Tidying the bookcase took me most of the morning.  Some things were thrown out (they became fire starter). My food/travel books surround my mum's Royal Albert and other heirlooms.

Today's lunch is always prepared yesterday (I cooked makaronada last night). But being alone on my own gave me the chance to cook the kind of meal that only I would eat: no matter how often I cook them, stir-fries are still not popular in my house.

Heat some olive oil, saute some minced garlic, sliced onion and grated ginger; add some garden greens (boiled broccoli florets and blanched pak choi leaves in my case). Flavour with soya sauce; cook by stirring over high heat till done to your liking. For protein, I added the leftovers of a chickpea stew.

I get a lot done when other people's legs are not in my way.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, Maria! Is that expression "everyone else's legs" a Greek thing? I had never heard that before. Made me laugh out loud. I get it, though.
    Sometimes there is nothing like a day home alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, not at all - it's just how i feel! when everyone is at home, the house full and since it is rather compact in size, i feel cramped!

      Delete