Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 6 November 2008

Winter stock-up (Εφοδιασμός για το χειμώνα)

Just the other day I was featured on the Daily Random Food blogs in The Foodie Blogroll. I'm wondering whether the name of my blog is misleading some people to think that I only use organic ingredients in my cooking, and the answer is, no, of course not, as I believe that is impossible.

Organically Cooked isn't all about eating organically; sometimes it's more convenient to eat local than organic food. And it isn't all about food, either; it's a way of life that tries to keep one attuned to nature rather than consumerism. The recent economic crisis has made me wonder how much I can economise even more than what I was doing before it hit the world.

Tomato sauce...

tomato paste for the winter

... cured olives...

tsakistes olives for the winter

... onions and garlic (I particularly liked the arrangement I recently saw in a shop in Hania)...

winter stock up hania chania

... garden produce: our harvest at the end of October, sitting on the most popular car model in Greece...

late october autumn harvest

... and some drying herbs.

drying herbs

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

11 comments:

  1. So when you run out of food WHOM YOU'RE GONNA CALL??

    MARIA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I envy your food choices Maria! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preparing for the winter and preserving all that summer goodness is a ritual I would love to experience one day...ere I will experience one day.

    I will spend a calendar year in Greece and can, pickle, dry, cure, smoke to survive the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so good! I agree with your philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look delicious. I agree - I try to buy locally produced food when I can, as I'd rather do that than (organic or not organic) food driven through Europe and beyond to get to my plate.

    Your tomato sauces look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lotta food...so, when's the party?

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Local Fresh produce is the best produce.Even I try my best to buy organic foods when ever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first 2 pictures are my favorite!!!
    Olives and tomato (bread and cheese) I could live only with these.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dimitris, i keep telling my husband the same thing, but he says he needs much more in life...
    which explains why i cook so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Maria, Look at your tomatoes and olives! I miss cured olives so much! My grandma used to make them, and there is just nothing available where I live that can compare. We used to eat them with homemade salami (kind of like a soprasata) and crusty bread. YUM!

    Also, I got your msg about the mac and cheese. I does reheat beautifully keeping three things in mind. First, be sure to make a LOT of sauce. The macaroni really soaks it up. Next, when reheating the goat cheese tends to melt away, so save some to sprinkle on when you are ready to serve it. And last, the bread crumb topping isn't as crunchy when reheated, but it's still very good! Hope you enjoy it! Now if only I had some of your olives, plus salami with crusty bread. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photo with the produce on the back of the car is my favorite. Or maybe the one of the olives. Then again, the careful sealed jars of tomato sauce are mighty fine as well. Lucky we get to see them all!

    ReplyDelete