Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Frugal chicken and broccoli pie

The broccoli season is now in full swing in our garden. I cut no less than 8 perfect heads of broccoli from the garden at the weekend, and chopped them into perfect florets before puting them in the freezer. Having just used up the very last of our frozen spinach from the previous season in a spanakopita the other day, I felt that the broccoli made up for its loss.

Here's my first broccoli meal for the season, from a Betty Crocker recipe for self-crusting broccoli and chicken pie.
I didn't add more grated cheese on top of the pie - there's more than enough protein in it already.
We don't have Bisquick in Crete (or maybe we do at AB supermarket, where all foreign tastes and imported Western staples seem to be found), so I made a substitute, as stated on this wikihow site. My pie is not gluten-free, as stated in the original recipe.
The recipe yielded a medium sized pie (about 6 pieces) and 3 muffin sized pies.
There was some mixture left over, so I also got three muffin-sized pies, made in separate ramekins. With all the specials going these days on chicken, eggs and cheese at various discount supermarkets, this was turned into an incredibly frugal meal to make. It was also very easy to whip up for an evening meal.

Because I was in a bit of a rush, I stuck to the original recipe. But if I make this again, I would add a spicy agent to jazz up the taste. I had my piece with some sriracha sauce to go with it, for some extra spunk.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maria, your looks much nicer than the Betty Crocker one. Who needs plastic-looking coloured cheese on top when you can get a nice crust otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i noticed that orange film coating on the betty crocker pie!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Maria, your recipe sounds delicious. I also love a bit of heat :)

    Better stock up on sriracha sauce, as it may be a thing of the past!

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/23/sriracha-shortage-threat_n_4330274.html

    ReplyDelete