Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Thursday 11 April 2013

Scary food

One of the most popular posts in my blog is all about natural colours and flavours for icing cakes. I don't ice cakes very often - it's just too much extra sugar and fat. The actual post was based on an experiment I did in my kitchen using olive oil and icing sugar.
icing in natural flavours and colours

Last weekend, during the very strong windstorm when outdoor jobs and activities were put on hold, my daughter wanted to do something creative in the kitchen, using ideas from the annuals I buy her at Christmas. Using artifically coloured icing packets given to us by a friend, she turned my chocolate zucchini muffins into animal cupcakes.



I wondered if the kids would eat actually eat these cupcakes. After decorating them and taking the photos, they asked me what they should do with the cupcakes. I told them they could eat them.

"With that stuff on the top?" they asked. "Never! It looks like a painting!" I couldn't blame them for reacting in this way. I wouldn't eat that stuff on the top either. I later saw them peeling off the icing and eating just the cake. It just looks so unnatural.

I don't think it has to do solely with the health aspect that made them think twice about eating the icing. They've never actually seen this kind of icing, as it's completely unknown here (you can't buy it in Cretan supermarkets). Call it a case of the fear of the unknown.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

2 comments:

  1. I never wanted to make those highly colored "frostings," as we call them for my kids. I do remember, however, my grandmother letting me tint frosting purple and other unappetizing colors and loved her for it!
    Kids love to decorate cupcakes and cookies and I have done it in the past, but I don't eat what they produce. Icky!
    Since they were little I have told them my opinion (surprised?) This is mostly about decorated Christmas cookies. This is it:
    "There are two kinds of Christmas cookies, the cute ones and then there are the cookies that TASTE GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree, this was fun, and i am glad that they didnt feel bad about peeling off the icing and throwing it away - they even ate the cake under the icing, so they showed they were ok with that too

      Delete