Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Εργαζόμενος (Employed person)

εργαζόμενος: a person who is employed

My daughter came home form school on Monday and told me excitedly that there would no school on Wednesday, ie today, because it is the feast of the Three Hierarchs, regarded by the Greek Orthodox Church as the greatest teachers. According to the Greek state, this accords the status of a school holiday. Hence, all people working in the educational field get a day off work today.

She then asked me if I could take her to MAICh with me, but I told her that I would also be on holiday that day because MAICh is a Greek educational institute, which my daughter hadn't realised.

"But the headmaster said that it isn't a holiday for εργαζόμενοι," she said.

"Next time he says that, ask your headmaster if he is an εργαζόμενος," I replied.

Where's the spinach?
Ah, there's the spinach!

The way the headmaster explained the holidays to the children (and not the holiday itself) is just another side to the Greece of two speeds.

This mid-week break was a good day for weeding the garden. After torrential downpours from the night before, the weeds were like putty in my hands.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! When I saw that first photo I thought it was taken inside a greenhouse. Now I see that it is in your yard? Were there any edible plants among what you pulled out? Sometimes "weeding," as we call it can be sort of fun, especially if the weeds pull out with that satisfying "thunk" when you pull them.
    I liked that exchange between you and your daughter.
    We are getting our fill of our 27 year old daughter right now because she broke her ankle last Saturday and is home so we can take care of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all outside - i just completed reading an interesting survey about greenhouses in crete, and few need heating (which helps in the economic crisis because fuel is expensive); we have plenty of sunlight, and it's easy to maintain a reasonable temperature for plants, even in a closed environment

      and yes, there were some edible weeds among my spinach - i am trying to organise a post showing them!

      Delete
  2. Oh Maria, it feels like eastertime watching this photo

    ReplyDelete