Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 7 December 2012

Uncle's treat

While visiting an uncle at the local village cafe-taverna last night...

- Χρόνια Πολλά, θείο Νίκο!
- Well, aren't you going to sit down, then? It's my treat.
- I've just come home from work. We really need to get back home, and...
- Well, you need to rest then. Sit down.
- OK, just for a few minutes.
- So what am I going to treat you? Souvlaki, steak?
- We've just popped in to say hello, uncle!
- OK, just a souvlaki then. What about you, kids? You'd like a souvlaki, wouldn't you?
- Um, no.
- OK, and what will you have to drink?
- Um, nothing.
- Just water.
- Water with the souvlaki? OK then. Hey, Ilias, two souvlaki for the kids.
- We didn't say anything.
- What did you say you were having to drink?
- Just water, thank you.
- And one coca-cola, Ilias.
- Can I please have a gazoza instead?
- Who, you? OK, who wants the coca-cola then?
- I'll have it!
- And one gazoza, Ilias, and get those souvlaki going! What are you going to have Maria?
- Oh, I'll just have some fries, then.
- Don't you want any sausages with that?
- No, not really.
- Ok then, two sausages, Ilias, got that? What's your husband having?
- I'll be fine with a nip of tsikoudia, thanks, uncle.
- A pork steak then. Ilias, make that two!

The photos are from a previous similar occasion at the same venue, but the story is always the same. A visit to these people inevitably means a treat.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki

4 comments:

  1. That is so Cretan! It really made me laugh! ...and then it made me homesick :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to see that souvlaki in the pic Oh what I wouldnt give to have one right now.
    Your story is so true I think wherever you go ( on the islands anyway , they can't help themselves.
    I used to live in Mykonos for 18 years I loved it best days of my life .
    I'm a londoner and am now back home , but. I look forward to your post,s every day Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dear diane, that does make me feel every wanted, and i must thank you for revealing yourself, as i dont really my readers!

      Delete