Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 1 May 2012

May Day (Πρωτομαγιά)

The first of May this year in Greece is going to be filled with mixed feelings. On the one hand, we celebrate workers' rights today, while on the other, we are counting down the days on a single hand to the most unpredictable election in Greece's history, during a period of record unemployment. How can workers express their rights when they don't have jobs?

The first of May in Greece is also celebrated in its older meaning, as a symbol of springtime fertility. We've just started planting our new summer garden.


 My workplace (www.maich.gr) was giving away local seeds from our seed bank. We sowed them before we went on holiday, and my husband placed them in the garden just last weekend.
 

I'm not really a fan of collecting flowers for wreath making, as tradition dictates for this day, but I treasure my memories of the most brilliant flower collections I have ever seen in real life. At this time last year, I would never have believed that I would see fields of tulips growing in Northern Holland in their full colour range.

 

We walked more than one and a half hours to see these fields, almost giving up and turning back just a few metres before we came across them, so we were well rewarded after that long walk!


©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Maria!! I'm so glad you didn't turn around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy May day...how nice that they give seeds away, looks like your garden is all ready!!! And what lovely tulips! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous tulips!Hope you had a great May Day!

    ReplyDelete