Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 6 April 2012

Cheap 'n' Greek 'n' frugal: Spanakorizo (Σπανακόριζο)

Prices are in euro (valid in Hania). All ingredients are Greek or locally sourced; those marked with * are considered frugal here because they are cheap and/or people have their own supplies.
 

Spanakorizo is Greece's answer to risotto. It involves making a light sauce with spinach, and adding rice to it. Instead of spinach, cabbage can be used, as well as any other tasty seasonal greens. But the most popular version is the one made with spinach. When I have fresh garden-grown spinach, I make this dish at least once a week, and because the spinach sauce freezes really well (ie before adding the rice), I make plenty of it so that all I have to do mid-week on a working day is to thaw it in the morning so that I can cook it with rice in the afternoon after work.


Spanakorizo can be cooked using a tomato or lemon based sauce, in the same way as most Greek dishes using beans or meat. In our house, we cook more with tomato, but lemon-based dishes make a tangy refreshing and lighter meal. Adding the rice after making the spinach sauce will give the dish a softer texture, resembling a pilaf. But if the rice is added before the spinach and sauteed with the onion until caramelized, it remains 'al dente', and it becomes a risotto. 


Spanakorizo needs only a little cheese to go with it. My kids eat all Greek rice-based dishes with Greek strained yoghurt, but not FAGE yoghurt, because it's hardly ever made with Greek milk these days (usually with mainly German and partly French milk). Non-FAGE strained yoghurt made with Greek milk is usually cheaper; there's no need to be brand-conscious when buying yoghurt.


You need:
1 1/2 cups of rice (~40 cents)
half a cup of olive oil*
1 large onion*
a few cloves of garlic*
half a kilo (or more) of spinach (~50 cents)
a bunch of parsley and/or fresh mint* (I used a variety of fresh aromatic herbs from the garden)
1 cup of tomato sauce (or some tinned tomato: ~50 cents)
1 teaspoon of tomato paste*
2-3 cups of water*
salt, pepper and oregano*


Follow the instructions for my spanakorizo recipe here.

Total cost of the meal for four people: about 1.60 euro, together with the yoghurt; 40 cents per serving.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

5 comments:

  1. I make this recipe with more emphasis on the spinach than rice like my mum makes it. I add only an espresso cup of rice and although I am a tomato person I always add lemon to this dish. You can substitute part of the spinach with swiss chard, sorrel, young poppy plants (before they flower and turn hard, nettles, etc.

    You can actually omit spinach altogether and use a combination of wild plants and then the dish is called bourani and is very common around Easter time when the wild plants are in abundance in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bourani - a new term for me, thanks for the suggestions - many times, i add a few bits and pieces of more exotic weddy greens, but they are so aromatic, that my family doesnt notice, they just think the spinach smells so good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite at the moment is Spanakorizo without the spinach! but with artichokes and wild asparagus (lucky to have alot in our fields) lemon and mint at the end, sometimes some parmesan and always, whatever is in it, with mizithra. I use brown rice now which works really well, I can even get it past the inlaws. So......... not really spanokorizo but that's where it all started

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish and am open to all flavour combinations!

    ReplyDelete