Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Tuesday 16 August 2011

I like shwimpth! (Μου αλέθουν οι γαλίδεθ!)

ramni haniaI recently went to the 40-day memorial service of the mother of a friend. It was held in a mountain village of Hania close to Lefka Ori (Λευκά Όρη - the White Mountains) where she was born and lived all her life, until, in later years, she was looked after by her children in the town. The 40-day memorial service for a dearly departed is considered the most important, especially if you didn't attend their funeral which would have been announced without much warning. After the church service, it is customary to sit at a nearby cafe for coffee and finger food, in meal eaten as a celebration of an entire life. If you are a very close relative/friend of the deceased, you will also be expected to stay for a meal, given at the deceased's family home. The memorial service took place during the fasting period leading up to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (August 15th), which meant that all the meals served had to be lenten, ie meat, eggs, cheese or fish (except shellfish) were forbidden.

DSC05323DSC05324
Above: The informal meal at the cafe. Below: The meal for the close friends and relatives.
DSC05370DSC05342

This is where I met Manouso, a lively 4-year-old, who sat next to me during the meal. Here are his thoughts on food.

What are you going to have, Manouso?
Θέλω θαλάτα - αλά μόνο αγγουλάκι, δε θέλω ντομάτα - κι' ένα κολοκυθάκι -- α, βάλε μου και ντολμαδάκια!
I want thalad - but only cucumber, I don't want tomato - and thome thoucchini, oh and give me thome dolmadakia.

How about some fries, would you like some of those?
Πατάτεθ! Θέλω και πατάτεθ!
Potatoeth! I want thome potatoeth too.

DSC05344 

Would you like to try some shrimp too? 
Γαλίδεθ! Μου αλέθουν οι γαλίδεθ!
Thwimpth! Thwimpth are weely good!

DSC05346

And what are you going to drink? Would you like some wine?
Θέλω νελό. Δε πίνω κλαθί. Θα πιω κλαθί όταν μεγαλώθω.
I want some water. I don't dwink wine. I'm going to dwink wine when I gwow up.

DSC05349

(Manouso suddenly noticed that some of the bottles were open and didn't have a cap on the top, so he called out to his uncle Spiro.) 
Ε! Θπίλο! Κλείθε το κλαθί! Θπίλο, Κλείθε το κλαθί, για να μη μπούνε μύγες θτο μπουκάλι!
Hey! Thpilo! Clothe the wine! Thpilo, clothe the wine, coth the flies will get inthide the bottle!

Manouso, you aren't eating your food.
Τώγω το φαγητό μου! Εγώ τώγω θιγά-θιγά!
Yeth, I am! I eat thlowly!

DSC05350 

Do you like chips or shrimps more?
Mου αλέθουν οι πατάτεθ αλλά οι γαλίδεθ μου αλέθουν πιο πολύ!
I like potatoeth, but I like shwimpth even more!

DSC05353 

(Manouso again notices that the bottles on the table aren't capped.) 
Ε, Θπίλο! Κλείθε το κλαθί, Θπίλο! Κλείθε το κλαθί, για να μη μπούνε μύγες θτο μπουκάλι! 
Hey, Thpilo! Clothe the wine, Thpilo! Clothe the wine, tho the flies don't get inthide the bottle!
DSC05355

You've almost finished your plate, Manouso! Bravo!
Όταν τώμε, δε μιλάμε, και το πιάτο μαθ κοιτάμε!*
When we're eating, we don't spake, and our eyes stay on our plate!

DSC05361

Would you like a snail, Manouso? (The snails took longer to cook than the rest of the meal, and came out quite a while after the other dishes.)
Δε θέλω τιποτ' άλλο. Τέλειωθα το πιάτο μου!
I don't want anything elthe. I've finithed my plate!

DSC05364

When Manousos had finished eating his meal, he went off to play with the other children present at the gathering, and didn't come back to the table until he saw the watermelon being served, which constituted 'detherrt'.
DSC05374

 *** *** ***
Part of child-raising involves teaching your child to eat the meal it is offered, which in Crete is often prepared and served with loving attention. Teaching your child to eat a home-cooked meal will aid in teaching a child discipline in its later life.


There are nations who wait for the state to impose law and order, not only in society but also in people's daily life. Greeks would never bother waiting for the state to do this, as they are already used to the extremely slow pace with which the state moves and takes action. With a child, you cannot afford to wait until someone fixes up your problems. You have to take action yourself before it's too late; it needn't take a riot to get that wake-up call. No matter what the reasons are for the breakdown of discipline in your own child's life, you have to accept some of the blame.

*Greek proverb, often learnt at school.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness,Maria,although the gathering started out in remembrance of someone's death,how could one ever stay serious after conversing with the cute little one..!It's funny,how death and new life meet in one place..I,too,believe that as parents we carry a great responsibility to properly raise our children.We can not expect any state to do that for us,the future generation begins in a home..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My God! I love him! He is absolutely adorable. I love little boys who speak their mind.
    I am assuming that he didn't actually speak English but your wonderful documentation of his remarks was hilarious. So..he must have had a Greek lisp such as little boy might have? I love it and read it to my hubby, too, and he laughed and laughed. Thanks for giving me a laugh today, Maria.
    I totally agree with teaching children to eat what has been prepared for them, too. I don't know why so many mothers expect their children to want something different than what is being served and to capitulate and prepare them chicken nuggets or macaroni and cheese or pizza. I see this behavior all the time in the school where I work as a para pro. The kids throw the school lunch in the trash and try to sneak chips or "fruit" roll ups instead. It makes me crazy! My own children were raised to eat real food, not junk.

    ReplyDelete