Zambolis apartments

Zambolis apartments
For your holidays in Chania

Friday 3 December 2010

Kourambiedes - Greek Christmas shortbread biscuits (Κουραμπιέδες)

I am not a creative recipe writer. Nor do I collect recipes that I hope to use some time in the future. I never fall in love with a recipe by looking at a photograph of it that makes me want to make it. I am also not a sweet- or cake-recipe person. Not that we don't eat sweets or cakes; I just prefer not to make them very often, and when I do, they are usually the 'healthy' type, like zucchini bread, beetroot muffins and banana cake. Looking through my blog, you will find that I am mainly a main-meal kind of cook. 

DSC02272

New recipes rarely move me. But when I read the notes from a friend for a kourambiedes recipe, I fell in love with it immediately. Kourambiedes are the Greek answer to shortbread. Their pure white colour symbolises purity, which explains why they are used as a Christmas symbol, as well as their use as a wedding biscuit. Most recipes for kourambiedes use eggs and brandy for flavouring, but not hers, which is the simplest recipe I have ever come across for kourambiedes.

DSC02273

Elisabeth wrote:
"I love my kourambiedes recipe. The only tricky thing is that you need sheep's milk butter. I love that it's so basic - no egg yolk, no cognac, no flavouring, nothing; it relies on the lovely aroma of sheep's butter."

Her original recipe was found in an old recipe collection on the island of Ikaria where she lives. It represents the simplicity that was inherent in Greek island cooking of the past. I'm sharing it with you, in time for Christmas, just as she gave it to me. (The notes in brackets are mine.)

500g sheep's milk butter (if you can't get this, you can replace it with the freshest most aromatic butter available to you)
1/2 cup icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
1 kilo flour (approximately; I used about 900g)
1 cup blanched, roasted and chopped almonds (I buy raw almonds which I blanch myself by placing them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes; their skins pop off easily - then I place them on a baking tray and roast them in a very hot oven until they turn golden in colour, which takes about 7-8 minutes)
rosewater for sprinkling (if this is unavailable to you, use cognac instead)
more icing sugar for coating (I'm glad I bought two 425g packets - you will get through quite a lot!)

Beat butter and sugar till very white and fluffy. Stir in enough of the flour so that it's no longer sticky. Then stir in the nuts. Shape kourambiedes and bake 20 minutes at 175C. Cool for 2 minutes, then sprinkle with rosewater. Lift them off the tray and sift icing sugar over them. Place the next layer on top of the ready iced biscuits and repeat the sifting procedure, sifting over more sugar just before serving. I got 50 large kourambiedes using this recipe.

DSC02275

What made this recipe very special was that the measurements were given to Elisabeth in the old measurements used in Greece during Ottoman rule, the oka and the drami (1 oka = 400 dramia), right up to a few years after WW2. The recipe yielded 50 kourambiedes.

 DSC02277

I make kourambiedes every year, but this is the best recipe I have ever used. Thanks, Elisabeth, for this special recipe, and to another Elizabeth who started the recipe sharing idea among her friends.

©All Rights Reserved/Organically cooked. No part of this blog may be reproduced and/or copied by any means without prior consent from Maria Verivaki.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting Maria...I'm keen to try this recipe. I'm always looking for other versions of Greek classics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Κι εγώ λατρεύω τους κουραμπιέδες αλλά τελευταία δεν τους κάνω, γιατί τους τρώω μόνο εγώ...Κάνω μια κρητική συνταγή, που είναι η καλύτερη που έχω δοκιμάσει.
    Πολύ απλή η συνταγή της Ελίζαμπεθ, αλλά θα σας εμπιστευτώ ότι είναι καλή. Πράγμαται, αν το βούτυρο είναι καλό, είναι αρκετό για τους κουραμπιέδες!
    Και ένα τιπ: αντί να καις ολόκληρο φούρνο για τα αμύγδαλα (σκέψου πόσο ηλεκτρικό σπαταλάει μέχρι να γίνε δυνατός), μπορεις να τα καβουρντίσεις σε αντικολλητικό τηγάνι, σε μέτρια φωτιά, γυρνώντας τα με ξύλινη κουτάλα.
    Και του χρόνου!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gawd! I love the idea of sheep's milk butter and the sprinkling of rose water. I have never made kourambiedes actually... maybe for my birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Είμαι σίγουρη για τη νοστιμιά τους, το βούτυρο παίζει τον μεγαλύτερο ρόλο στους κουραμπιέδες!

    Και του χρόνου Μαρία μου, να είσαι καλά να τους ξαναφτιάξεις!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure I will be able to find sheep´s milk butter here in Sweden but I will try this recipe anyway because "simpel" is very often the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. These oookies would be hard to resist Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all have our favorites, and in big Greek families someone is always known for one or two very special recipes. In our Chicago based family, my mom's Kourambiedes are the absolute hit. Here's the link if anyone is interested in another version that is so simple to make: http://ichkalliope.typepad.com/ich_kalliope/2008/12/ma-baker.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drooling over the thought of using sheep milk butter - very difficult to get here. My favourite cheeses are made from sheeps' milk, with goats' milk cheese a close second. All such like made here (yes- they are now) are mostly well beyond my necessarily simple budget.

    I do have a packet of a goats' milk chevre saved to take up to my Folks' for Xmas - this soft NZ made cheese is beautifully creamy and has some salt - but not as much as a Feta.

    Your shortbread looks incredibly scrumptious - my dear Mum always over-cooks hers (and any other baked goods). So you'll understand why I always take over my Folks' kitchen every year when I stay with them for a couple of weeks over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria your kourabiedes look perfect. If only I could find sheep milk butter here. I have to wait till I come home for that!
    Και του χρόνου να είσαι καλά! καλές γιορτές!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eggless Kourambiethes? Intersting recipe Maria. I will be making mine soon

    ReplyDelete